Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GeForce GTX 1050

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
mrattray
75328 Views, 22 Replies

GeForce GTX 1050

Management is considering buying us new graphics cards. We've been running OpenGL cards (I have a FirePro V5900 currently). I remember reading that these are no longer recommended for Inventor users, that we should be using Direct X based gaming cards now. I've been asked my opinion on a GeForce GTX 1050. I haven't kept up on graphics hardware lately, does anybody care to share their opinion/experience on this card with me? Do you have another card that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Neil_Cross

In reply to the guy who said that 1050 only comes with 2 GB dedicated RAM:
There are different setups for the 1050 spreading from no dedicated RAM up to 4 GB RAM.

I agree that you will be quite limited with 2 gigs pretty quickly the 4 gigs variant will serve you pretty good.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Have a nice day & i hope you found the right solution!

Message 22 of 23
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

In reply to the guy who said that 1050 only comes with 2 GB dedicated RAM:
There are different setups for the 1050 spreading from no dedicated RAM up to 4 GB RAM.

I agree that you will be quite limited with 2 gigs pretty quickly the 4 gigs variant will serve you pretty good.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Have a nice day & i hope you found the right solution!

It's not clear sorry, it's incorrect advice.

That guy was me.  The desktop 1050 only comes with 2GB of video RAM.  The 1050Ti which is a different card altogether, different specs, different price etc, has 4GB of VRAM, but we were discussing the 1050 explicitly.  And every video card on the market and possibly ever made ever always has onboard VRAM, there's no such thing today as a discreet dedicated video card with no onboard RAM.

This is taken from NVIDIAs website.

2017-09-29_15-16-22.jpg

Message 23 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hey Neil,

Thanks for your reply!

I was not quite sure if they were only looking for desktop solutions. My statement applies to Notebooks which can have integrated RAM, so the GPU can use a certain percentage of the system's memory rather than having it's own memory. I am no expert- but I personally use a Lenovo Legion for Inventor which has a GeForce GTX 1050 with 4 GB of dedicated VRAM and it runs pretty good even on heavy load.

Have a nice day & I hope this clears things up a bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report