Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed vs frictionless

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Yashasvi23481
1623 Views, 6 Replies

Fixed vs frictionless

Hi All,

This might be quick one. I am doing a test to analyse the stability of assembly under wind condition. I have determined 80 kmph = 68.3N. With windspeed everything is movable. In that case, I am not sure to select the base as fixed constraint. It cant be fixed as I need to test if assembly will tip over. When I select just the edge for name sake, it stops the simulation saying not enough constraints. 

So now my question is: If I select base surface as frictionless, will it show the movement if it moves in practical ? there is arrow underneath the symbol of frictionless. I have to do as many as 20 to 25 test using same set of constraint so I want to ask in weather condition like wind, can I use frictionless rather than fixed to get correct results? 

Thanks for help. 

Regards,

Yash

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

Message 3 of 7

Hi Yash,

When the assembly is moving (no matter how slow it is), the analysis would need to be dynamic, not static. In static FEA, something has to be grounded. Otherwise, the geometry would be floating in the space and it will not converge to a solution. The result will be wrong.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for suggesting Dynamic Analysis. What is frictionless constrain then used for ? It shows up in static analysis. How to perform Dynamic simulation ? Never done before.  

Regards,

Yash

Message 5 of 7

Hi! Static analysis does not mean all geometry is fixed. Some is allowed to move but the entire system should stay put. Frictionless constrain allows the given geometry to move under stress. Dynamic analysis allows the entire system to move and study the impact and stress during motion.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:

I need to test if assembly will tip over.

I think all of the previous responders got distracted by terms used in stress analysis and missed this part of the problem description.  This is not a stress or CFD analysis - this sounds to me like it is a simple motion (mechanical physics) analysis.

Environments>Dynamic Simulation.

Turn on your sound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

ahhhhh

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report