Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center part with variable lenght

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
500 Views, 6 Replies

Content center part with variable lenght

Hi all!

I made a post alittle while ago in a different matter but I figured I should separate them since the issues are separate.

So the issue I have is that I have made a variable pipe that I have uploaded into content center.

The idea being that I should have fixed sizes. But the lenght should be an input everytime I use it in an assembly.

This works great for all parts that have only fixed parameters.

However when I pull the pipe into the modell It forces me to create a new part file for every lenght I use.

Is there some clever way to get around this?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

When you place from content center, is it being place "by standard" or "by custom"  Two options in that dialog.  However to be "by standard" each standard member has to have an unique file or member name.  Meaning the member name column must include the length column from CC.

When placed by custom, it prompts for file name and file location.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

So how does one go about doing this?

I tried opening the Family table in Excel added a formula for the member column "="Pipe-"&C1&"-01""

However as soon as I send it back to the family table it stops being a formula and just becomes a static number again.

Message 4 of 7
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Right mouse click on the member or filename column header and select column properties.  In there will be a field for a expression.   Apply all the column property names to make a member name by using the [...] button at the end.

2018-12-20_7-37-37.jpg

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I have tried this and alas to no success it still wants me to save it as a local part everytime I use it:
Filename.png

However when I set the settings as above I get the same warning I got before:

error.png

This all seem to stem from the value "Lenght" that I have set as "Custom variable column"

Message 6 of 7
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

When you go to place..from content center what is selected here

2018-12-20_8-01-00.jpg

and under tools/application options/content center tab

2018-12-20_8-02-12.jpg

Mark Lancaster

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

So simple and obvious! I should have realised this from the first comment!

Thank you all for your help! This has been solved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report