Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding a path

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
einarpe
1199 Views, 9 Replies

Extruding a path

I'm trying to extrude this path, but unable to.

Some of the lines do not seem to be connected.

How come?

See screencast

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: einarpe

Nothing attached or linked...

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 10
WHolzwarth

Screencast is here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/profile/LIT66Q3CJJXKF/screencasts?_ga=2.129072463.25756698.1564902876...

I'd use a contour flange in sheetmetal alternatively.  2018 IPT attached.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
einarpe
in reply to: SBix26

The screencast path is
https://autode.sk/2N31GsJ

Message 5 of 10
Sergio.D.Suárez

Your sketch does not seem to be properly closed, if you project some entities, you probably need to project a small radius that prevents the selection of a closed contour. If you created the sketch and did not project geometry, perhaps you made a linear pattern and the intersection points of each instance of the pattern are not closed, they can be seen as closed but not closed.
Here, I stop to make two suggestions. If you use linear patterns I would advise you not to work this way, instead I would advise you to create the first instance as a solid, and then make a linear pattern of this solid or this operation. you would avoid such problems.
On the other hand, its sketch seems to maintain a constant thickness (in the curvatures the spokes appear to be concentric and tangent to the intersecting edges). Keep in mind that if the thickness is constant, you can treat the part as a metal sheet part. Although the part was not actually sheet metal, you can take advantage of the sheet metal properties.

I hope this helps. Grettings!!

Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.

I am attaching my Upwork profile for specific queries.

Sergio Daniel Suarez
Mechanical Designer

| Upwork Profile | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think Sergio explains the issue well. Please feel free to attach the part so experts can help take a look. I am marking Sergio's reply as a solution.

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10
einarpe
in reply to: Sergio.D.Suárez

Thank you Sergio!

Message 8 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! Another option to extrude a profile or 3D wire in a given direction is to use Ruled Surface -> Vector option. The result is a ruled surface body. You can use various commands to solidify it.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! Another option …. is to use Ruled Surface 

@johnsonshiue Do you have a collection of Ruled Surface models?

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never used Ruled Surface since it was introduced and would really love to have some exceptional examples.  The more complex the better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a real world example, because I deal with proprietary design too much. I cannot reveal any of them. But, what I can say is that, in Surface Modeling workflow, this is the most frequently used command I used (much more than Boundary Patch and Loft). It has many applications like in Mold related workflows (drafting, runoff, patching, and so on). It also helps creating offset curves from offset surfaces, This is a super useful command that I cannot live without.

Let me dig around and see if I can find a practical yet non-proprietary example.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report