Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Resize a Drawing Template Imported from AutoCAD

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
892 Views, 10 Replies

Need to Resize a Drawing Template Imported from AutoCAD

Hello All,

I recently opened an AutoCAD customized drawing template with Inventor. In inventor, the format of the template (sheet size, outline, etc.) is tiny - smaller than 1" by 1" - compared to the A sheet size. I cannot find a way to scale the format up to fit the sheet size. Any ideas? I do not want to have to recreate this template.

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the forum.

Why are you trying to scale the Autocad format in Inventor? 

Are you trying to create a new format?

Is it possible it is a units issue?  Autocad format is in inches and you are bringing it into a mm environment?

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I have an assembly and parts created in inventor from which I need to create drawings. The template is .dwg (created in AutoCAD I believe). Does the problem make sense? I am not trying to create a new format, just size up the old one. I do not think it is a units issue but I am not sure how to check the units of the format.

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

In AutoCAD

-dwgunits (with the preceding - sign just as typed), what does it report as the document units?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather 

I believe the OP is using the Inventor .DWG drawing format and its not actually an AutoCAD drawing.

@Anonymous   In the drawing browser, Sheet 1 & right mouse click on it and select edit sheet.  Define the size that you want.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

>template is .dwg (created in AutoCAD I believe). 

Attach the *.dwg here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I have attached the resulting command lines when opening the drawing in AutoCAD and the screenshot of what is going on. The sheet is the correct size (A), but as you can see the layout is tiny in comparison.

Thanks in advance for your help! Came over from Solidworks

Message 8 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Another option to check is MEASUREMENT. Open the dwg file in AutoCAD and execute command MEASUREMENT. Set it to 1 and save it. Does it work better now?

If not, please share the example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11
Cadmanto

Where did this .dwg come from if you are guessing it was done in Autocad?

If you are looking to make drawings, my suggestion would be to copy the standard out of the box template and create your own from there.  With all of the time you have already wasted with this .dwg file, you could have an actual template with some smarts in it that is a true Inventor drawing template.

Just my 2 cents.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

Are inch units what you are expecting?

Are you using inch units in Inventor?

Is there a reason you have not Attached your file(s) here?

Message 11 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Theo sent me the files. Without disclosing the design in detail, I can describe the situation. The AutoCAD dwg file contains a viewport in Paper space. Inventor cannot use it as a source to create title block or border.

Here is the workflow to make it work.

1) Open the dwg file in AutoCAD and go to the Layout. Use "EXPORTLAYOUT" command to export the viewport to Model Space in a new dwg file.

2) Open the exported dwg file in AutoCAD. The geometry should be in Model Space.

3) Start Inventor and open an idw/dwg template.

4) Expand Drawing Resources node in the browser -> right-click on Border -> select the appropriate border or define new.

5) Right-click on Title block node -> Define New Title Block -> go to AutoCAD and copy the title block geometry -> paste it to Inventor.

6) Repeat the similar steps for other drawing resource like Sketch Symbols.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report