Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy a project

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
614 Views, 11 Replies

Copy a project

I needed to revise a project, but keeping the old version in case needed. We don't use Vault, so I copied the whole folder on windows explorer level and renamed it. 

Knipsel.JPG

So folder "Inventor" contains exactly the same files/folder structure as the folder "Inventor 2019_08_20"

I renamed the IPJ file (also windows explorer level) and opened it in inventor. I saw that all links (workspace) in the project file pointed to the new location, so I thought everything should be fine.

After doing this I continued working in the "Inventor" folder; addng, removing repositioning parts I saved it. Looking back to the original project, to my suprise, that project was messed up too. How can that be? seperate folders...! I did activate the correct project, 100% sure.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

Try using pack and go to backup the files and project.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Frederick_Law

Inventor should not look outside Workspace for files.

When you "look back", did you open files in old folder without switching Project?

Message 4 of 12
Cadmanto

If you just copied folder to a new folder in windows explorer it is not surprising to me that there are links to the old that were kept.  Vault copy design is the ultimate, but I agree with @CCarreiras  in that you should have used pack and go to a different folder and just copy the files.

Or, at the very least, you could have used Design Assistant.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 12
SBix26

The procedure you described should have worked for you as expected.  Copying an entire project folder and changing the name of the .ipj should make it independent of the original, as long as the workspaces are correct and there's no cross referencing going on.

Are you saying that files in both folders have been altered?  Or just in one that you didn't expect?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Frederick_Law

@Frederick_Law wrote:

When you "look back", did you open files in old folder without switching Project?

No

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

@SBix26 wrote

Are you saying that files in both folders have been altered?  Or just in one that you didn't expect?

Sam B

Yes in both projects, while only working in 1 poject. And vice versa, because I checked the original and saw some part were moved, so I put them back to their correct positions, but then those same parts were moved again in the other project. Just crazy!

Message 8 of 12
SBix26

Have to see both project files and directory structures to have any idea how this could happen.  If the workspaces are separate from each other, this doesn't happen, in my experience.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! Even if you change the project file name, it does not mean the project will magically points to the new location. You need to edit the project file in Project setting dialog -> check if the paths and folder options are correct.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes both workspace settings pointed to the 2 differenet folders, and still changed both projects

Message 11 of 12
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes both workspace settings pointed to the 2 differenet folders, and still changed both projects

I think you missed something in the process.

I think if you P&G and create new ipj (and use it) - you should not see this issue.

But since you have had an issue, it might be safer using Design Assistant (assuming you don't use Vault) going forward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! Another option is to use iLogic Design Copy (start up Inventor without opening any file -> Tools -> iLogic Design Copy). You can easily create a brand new dataset from an existing dataset.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report