Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to CAD format

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
505 Views, 15 Replies

Exporting to CAD format

Hi,

I've been trying to export my piece to several different formats including IGES, STP, and STL from my ITP file. I haven't been able to complete any of these. Every time I try, a window pops up that says "Problems encountered whil saving the document." I've tried making very simple files and exporting those which didn't work either. I uninstalled inventor professional 2017 from my laptop and got 2018, and it still doesn't work. However, I tried installing inventor on another computer and I could import the IPT from my laptop and export it there, so the problem must lie somewhere in my settings perhaps.

What should I do?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

It could be as simple as a "Permissions" issue with the folder you are trying to export the file to. Check the Permissions of the folder you are trying to export the file to and see if you have full access. You will need to RMB on the folder to access it's properties.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Hi,

I have full permission over the directory I'm working in as far as I know. I opened up the security tab and gave all users and groups full control.

I've also tried resetting Inventor with the InventorReset tool.

Message 4 of 16
blair

No settings within Inventor, unless you are trying to save to a folder that is designated as a Library Folder within the Project File. By default, Inventor treats Library Folders as "Read-Only".

When you installed Inventor, you were logged in with Administrative Rights. Some Registry entries required full permission.

Did you try and copy an files to the target folder using Windows Explorer, to see if it's a Permissions issue?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please provide a screenshot of the error message. Also go to Inventor Project dialog and look at the Workspace path and Library path. Is that where you are trying to save too? Or, you are trying to save to a Cloud drive?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

No, I have no libraries selected so that should be it.

How would I go about changing those permission? I'm new to working with projects.

Yes, I have tried that. It's not a general permission error. It's inside Inventor, I'm almost sure.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Here's what Inventor looks like after I try to export a CAD format.

So, my Workspace path is the folder that contains  the files I'm working on and I have no libraries selected.

I'm trying to save onto my laptop, and I've tried several different folders, none of which are working.

Message 8 of 16
blair

Can you create a new Folder on your C:\ Drive and export the file to that folder.

I don't see any issues showing on your Model Tree, so it must be something on your PC.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 16
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi djjwollin,

If you go to the Tools tab > Options panel >  Add-ins button > Translators tab do you see the various CAD format translators are loaded?

You should see something like this:

Translators.PNG

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 16
blair

Try this from the following post: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/error-problems-encountered-while-saving-the-document/t...

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! Aside from experts' suggestions, I have a question. Does it apply only to one particular format or the warning comes up when exporting to multiple formats.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Hello,

I tried this as well, still with no results. I forgot to mention this, but I did work on a project through GrabCAD last semester and I think that is when the issues started.

Again, thank you for your continued assistance.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The three formats I need are IGS, STP, and STL and none of them work. I haven't tried all the others, but several of the other ones were not working either.

Message 14 of 16
blair

Can you create a new User Account with Admin Rights and try using that account. Possibly something has happened to your current account.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 16
mslosar

It's not sounding like permissions. I tried to save to a folder I know i don't have access to and it literally says 'you do not have permission to save here, would you like try.....'

Odd errors like that I see when the folder in question doesn't exist, or it's an improper filename.

You said you did a re-install, right?

On '18 there shouldn't be a newer version of the plugins on the machine causing an issue either. I'm leaning towards the profile option as well at the moment.

If you can save the ipt in a folder but cannot export, it implies something up with the translator to me.

Message 16 of 16
blair
in reply to: mslosar

You shouldn't need to re-install, if you had Admin Rights when you installed the software. If you have run the Re-Register as posted, I would try the new user account before re-installing.

If you do re-install, use the ADSK In-Install tool that is in the ADSK folder.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report