Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing constraints are lost when replacing part with iPart

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cass8435
248 Views, 6 Replies

Existing constraints are lost when replacing part with iPart

Existing constraints are lost when replacing part with iPart. 

I have an existing assembly that I wanted to convert a few parts to iparts. I opened the parts from the assembly, converted them to iparts, saved them, and then did a component replace in the assembly, and all the constraints related to that part are now broken.

Is there a solution to this that does not include me just redoing all the constraints?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: cass8435

Apparently this is still being investigated:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Existing-constrain...

More discussion here, but no actual solution for the case, aside from simply re-doing the constraints:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/ipart-losing-their-constraints-after-repalce/td-p/6784...

Message 3 of 7
CCarreiras

Hi!

Have you tried to that models with MODEL STATES?
Model states is a new workflow to replace iParts. The advantage is, you only need one file, while iPart you will have the main file, but all the children will be also a separated file... and maybe is because of that is missing the constraints...

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
cass8435
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Dang... I'm feeling like a 2 year investigation means it wont be fixed anytime soon. This is unfortunate, but thank you.

Message 5 of 7
cass8435
in reply to: CCarreiras

Unfortunately, since model states cannot be edited through a spreadsheet like iparts can, I wont be able to use that for this particular project. Thanks though.

Message 6 of 7
Gabriel_Watson
Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Folks,

If I understand how iPart/iAssembly works correctly, this is actually a limitation. The reason is that the associativity between files in Inventor is based on the unique Document ID. For example, when a Face-Face Mate constraint is established between PartA and PartB, the constraint does recognize the faces from PartA and PartB. If you replace PartA with PartC (a different file), the constraint will fail (unless PartC was a copy of PartA).

Though iPart members derive from the same iPart factory, each member file is a unique file carrying different Document ID (created from scratch). As a result, replacing member1 with member2 will lead to constraint failure. The same behavior can be seen on Replace Model Reference in drawing workflow.

Model States will behave better since all members are stored within the same file, which has the same Document ID.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report