Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipart losing their constraints after repalce

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
eladm
612 Views, 9 Replies

Ipart losing their constraints after repalce

Hi All Inventor users

At Inventor 2017.3

I insert a part to assembly and give it constrain. After this I create from this file an ipart 

Why I can't change component in the assembly ? If I will replace this file by itself the command of CHANGE COMPONENT will be active but I will loose the constrain

Any solution ?

Kind regards

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: eladm

Parts and I-Parts are different things. The moment you change a part in an I-Part it changes in a part-generator with a table as "engine". Actually an I-Part can't be in an assembly. If you drag an I-Part to an assembly then Inventor will create a child and not insert the "mother". However Inventor does not check if the part has been used somewhere if you change a normal part into an I-Part. That's why you get a conflicting situation.

Best thing is to remove the (I-)part from the assembly and to insert a child of the I-Part. You could create the child first in an empty assembly and try replacing the part with the previously created child. Don't know if Inventor is very willing to do so.

The good advice is to make parts into I-Parts before you use them anywhere else. Including drawings. I-Parts generate children that can be used as parts but are controlled by the master I-Part.

Alex

Message 3 of 10
eladm
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

After I insert a part to assembly I add more member in this part!

Why when I replace it in the assembly he loose all the constrain , I replace it in the same file

Regards

Message 4 of 10
mdavis22569

Can you share what you're trying to do ..

If you're working in an assembly and you change a part that isn't the same or based on the same, yes you'll lose the constraints.. it's not the same, so it has to know what's right.

If you're working in an assembly and constraining, promote/demoting you SHOULD (key, should) keep most or all of your constraints for items. But they would be inside the new assembly it's promoted/demoted to.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
eladm
in reply to: mdavis22569

Message 6 of 10
mdavis22569

What happens if you use an Insert constraint ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
blandb
in reply to: mdavis22569

You have inserted the "parent" component into your assembly. Then you converted it to an iPart. So now the parent file exists in the assy. When you create an iPart first, the "parent" is not placed into the assembly, it is one of the "child" components that are actually placed into the assy. When you replaced the component with itself, you are activating the actual ipart functionality as if you were placing the ipart into the assy, that is why you get the key parameters box. It is normal to lose mates when doing the work flow you have done. When you fix the mates the ipart will work as expected. To avoid this, do what @Anonymous had mention, create ipart first, then place. But this is what you will have to do when converting an existing assy to iassy or iparts.

Please see video.

Hope this Hels.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: blandb

If you have placed a regular part into an assembly and then made that part an ipart the first thing to do is to replace the part with itself again.. (right click... component..replace).. That will allow you to then change members like if the part was an ipart to start... Its just something you need to do.. 

BUT some constraints WILL be lost... Its just how it works even though Autodesk has "tried" to make that not happen.

When the part is made into an ipart those children are derived from the factory ipt file and the internal namings of faces/edges,etc.. is now different from the original and Inventor cannot keep the constraints if the naming is different..  

Some constraints will be ok (like if you used origin planes,etc.. but something as simple as an insert constraint will be lost and you will need to edit those constraints and repick the selection again.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 10
eladm
in reply to: mcgyvr

It is very sad that Inventor users  need to fix the constrain after repalce (I don't "care" children/member etc - I replace the same file)

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr

@eladm wrote:

It is very sad that Inventor users  need to fix the constrain after repalce (I don't "care" children/member etc - I replace the same file)

But its technically not the same file anymore.. Its a new part derived from the original...

But I agree that it sure would be nice if the internal naming of those faces/edges,etc... remained the same so constraints weren't lost.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report