Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with Revit import into Inventor when Revit model constraints have been corrected

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
richard.kFK4QA
845 Views, 8 Replies

Error with Revit import into Inventor when Revit model constraints have been corrected

I have been importing Revit 2019 models from an architect and a structural designer into my Inventor 2021 model of a new factory. Up to now the process has been problem-free. Workflow in Inventor is:

File\Open\Import CAD Files\ select Revit .RVT file. Dialogue box as below, select Open Anyway.

richardkFK4QA_0-1623705459066.png

Next comes this dialogue box where I select Reference Model as I will need to import updates:

richardkFK4QA_1-1623705849990.png

Next comes this, select OK as I need to see everything, and the model is successfully imported.

richardkFK4QA_3-1623705918389.png

Till now when I have received updated Revit files the RVT files have been replaced into the Inventor model usually with no problems although sometimes some components don't get imported.

A problem has now arisen since the structural engineer had to correct the position of some components. When I try to replace the .RVT model with the new file it goes through the process and appears to complete but the replacement doesn't actually take place.

If I try to import the .RVT file from scratch into a new Inventor model I go through the File\Open\Import CAD Files\ select Revit .RVT file process, and then get the following message and cannot proceed. Selecting OK terminates the import:

richardkFK4QA_4-1623708318037.png

The structural engineer says that the 236... and 251... numbers are the components which were out of position. We don't know what the 418... numbers refer to. He can open and work with the Revit model with no problem but I consistently cannot import it, even on a different computer.

Any ideas?

Richard Knott

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Richard,

This sounds like a bug to me. But, without seeing the actual files, it is impossible to tell. Please share the files with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com (the Inventor files and Revit files before and after the change).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9

Hi Johnson
I have sent you a link to download the files.
Regards
Richard
Message 4 of 9

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for sharing the files with me! I am still investigating the issue. In the meantime, make sure you update the file documented in the following page.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/When-...

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9

Hi Johnson

Just to keep the thread updated: As discussed via email, the fix above doesn't apply as it is for Inventor 2022 while I am on 2021. I know you and the team are working on the files sent.

Cheers

Richard

Message 6 of 9

I am also trying to resolve an issue with the anycad import process. My client user does not get to see a preview of the 3D view and just is presented with the spinning wheel. I can get to a stage with the same file where I can see a preview, but I get the dialog saying I have to dumb the model view down to 250 elements. Is this a limitation with ANYCAD import REVIT files ?
Message 7 of 9

Hi! This sounds that the Revit Interop for Inventor isn't installed on the machine. What release of Inventor are you on? If you are on 2022 or 2023, the Revit Interop component should be installed on demand (over the network). You can also download and install from manage.autodesk.com.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9

The client used revit LT 2023 to upgrade the file from 2022. He experienced lots of errors in the process. I have asked him to do the conversion with Full Revit and ensure the BIM interop tools were installed. Is 250 elements a limitation for the anycad process for revit files
Message 9 of 9

Hi! I am not aware of a size limit in terms of AnyCAD workflow. Either there is a file specific issue or the Revit Interop  for Inventor was not installed properly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report