Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting an empty sketch that has no children messes up a bunch of things coming before it in the model hierarchy

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
joao_fragaMGVEE
446 Views, 12 Replies

Deleting an empty sketch that has no children messes up a bunch of things coming before it in the model hierarchy

Hello,

I created a sketch on a face that was not the one I actually wanted, so I tried deleting it. Even though I didn't even sketch anything on it, once I deleted it, Inventor messed up a bunch of things coming before that sketch on the model hierarchy. I checked dependencies, and this sketch has no children whatsoever, so I have absolutely no idea why it's behaving the way it is.

I'm aware what I'm modeling isn't exactly what Inventor is for, but I wanted to get something done quick.

I'm attaching the file with the model that is behaving weirdly. Sketch 18 is the problematic one. I repeated what I did and created sketch 19 to see if it would behave just as weirdly, and indeed it does.

Anyone have any ideas on what is happening? Is this a bug? Thanks.

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
chris
in reply to: joao_fragaMGVEE

@joao_fragaMGVEE  sketch 18 has a projected point at the intersection of red and blue, if you left button click, and drag over your whole work area that point comes up, and sketch 19 has the same point, there might be an easier way of making what you are making... but what is it?

Message 3 of 13

File too new for me.  2025?

Message 4 of 13

Hi, this has nothing to do with the sketches on the end, when you first open the file you'll notice there's a lightning bolt for refresh in the top

James_Willo_0-1714666683987.png

Work plane 3 needs fixing. You can use 'redefine feature' or 'recover'  on the right click menu. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 13

Yup, 2025.

Message 6 of 13
joao_fragaMGVEE
in reply to: chris

Ooohh, I see it now. Was it created automatically because I created the sketch on that circular face, so its centerpoint was projected? I don't remember every selecting "project geometry"... but why does a projected point lead to this kind of behavior?

I'm trying to construct a quick-and-dirty 3D diagram of a spherical RR linkage.

Thanks for replying.

Message 7 of 13

Thank you! That fixed it. I'm wondering now why it happened in the first place... I don't recall ever changing any of the elements used to define that plane. Also, why did this problem appear only after I created that sketch? The model updated several times before that without issue.

Message 8 of 13

I'm not sure, but I think that after you delete the sketch, Inventor is then doing the refresh for you. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 9 of 13

It's the autoproject option

James_Willo_0-1714668091625.png

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 10 of 13
chris

@joao_fragaMGVEE If it was me I'd create some user-defines parameters and create some relations, as it is now, your model shares a lot of the same values, (not sure if they are tied to one another), but it's easier to handle this stuff in a form that can stay open while your working, then you can model in real-time seeing changes take place

Message 11 of 13

Thank you for pointing this out!
Message 12 of 13
joao_fragaMGVEE
in reply to: chris

I'm not sure I understood the point you're making, what do you mean create some relations?
Message 13 of 13
chris

@joao_fragaMGVEE In your part parameters, you've used the dimension (30 deg) 3X, (1mm) 3X, (30mm) 3X, (45 deg) 2X, (75 deg) 3X, etc. My point is, you're hand-typing the dimension each time, which means if those constraints share the same number, when one changes the others will not. Would you like them to all update if one changes?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report