Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop auto rotate view when creating sketch

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
smilinger
8151 Views, 39 Replies

Stop auto rotate view when creating sketch

When creating a new sketch, Inventor will automatically turn on the visibility of the origin workplanes and rotate the view orientation to this:

2016-08-16_21-40-18.png

This is annoying, I like the workplane visibility to turn on but I don't want it to rotate, is there any way I can stop this?

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
mcgyvr
in reply to: smilinger

Well what would you like it to do?

I for example have gone into tools..application options..part tab and checked the box for "Sketch on x-y plane" under the Sketch on new part creation section..

Try that and see if you like that better..

If not explain what you would like to happen (not that there are many options)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 40
smilinger
in reply to: mcgyvr

Not good, sometimes we need to create first sketch on the other plane.

I want the orientation of the view to remain as it is, for example, If I have the view orientation like this:

2016-08-16_21-27-44.png

When I click the sketch button, I need the view to like this:

2016-08-16_21-57-26.png

Message 4 of 40
Mark.Lancaster

So disable under the Applications Options/Sketch (to look at sketch plane on creation and edit)

8-16-2016 10-03-38 AM.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 40
smilinger
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

No, rotate after I click the workplane is OK, I just don't want the rotation before I click the workplane.

Message 6 of 40
Mark.Lancaster

@smilinger

Now I see which rotation you are referring to..  No I don't think that's possible to control or be able to disable.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 40

Mark is right there is no way to control that behavior.  We are trying to guarantee you see the workplanes too, if you were zoomed off into left field we want you to be able to quickly pick a plane. If we showed you some other view (orthogonal) you wouldn't see one of the planes.

That's the history anyway.

If you'd like to create an Ideas post to stop this behavior (or get an app option to control it) and gather some kudos we will evaluate it, I have yet to hear anyone not want that behavior yet but maybe an Idea post will bring it more attention.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 40
CCarreiras

In my opinion, the better way to solve this is:

before you chose the plane, rotate the system (using mouse wheel+Shift) to a favorable position (a little bit to the right), and your sketch will open well positioned. That's what i do everytime.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 9 of 40
-niels-
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Jumping in to say that i would vote for that idea...
I've been so used to hitting F6 to return to my set "home" view that this slipped my mind.
I think it was slightly discussed when it was introduced but never got too far then either...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 40
smilinger

I have a customer just come back from France, he told me that in France office this can be done, I doubt that.

Maybe I should create a new Idea post for this.

By the way, if you turn on one of the work plane at first, then Inventor will not rotate. But after that you need to turn off the work plane again.

Message 11 of 40
smilinger
in reply to: -niels-

Actually, there is already an Idea post for this, although it is a little different from what I want:

Orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch

Message 12 of 40
SteveMDennis

Please add comments to it explaining your related ask.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 40
smokes2998

There is an issue with the default templates that I never  understood why it wasn't fixed In inventor the y on the triad is up for a front view in the drawing sheet.

In the metric templates the default home view is set to z is up which mean I see a lot of  people having to re orientate the view in the drawing.

Many trained users select the plane the see in the home view that they want to start sketching on and are always asking why they  have to reorientate the view when creating the drawing. I keep pointing out that the started the first sketch on the wrong plane. and to fix it would mean remodeling the the part again from scratch.

I have managed to stop it occurring by resetting the default templates to y point up.

In competitors software the triad is fixed to the view cube  orientation  the other thing  i have  seen that stop this issue is the planes are labels right plane front plane and top plane. in the competitor software this issue does not occur. can you look in to it.

Message 14 of 40
SBix26

Until a new idea is accepted and implemented, how about changing your workflow a bit-- expand the origin folder in the browser, then right click on the plane on which you want your sketch, and pick New Sketch (or, select the plane and click the New Sketch icon in the graphics area).  It's a workaround, but maybe a little less work than turning visibility on and back off.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017 R2
Vault Basic 2017
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 15 of 40
Anonymous

Yes this is verry annoing behaviour of the program, if you work in a specyfic place of the model with many details clicking start 2d sketch change actual view and you have to find the right place from the beggining. Its very annoing if you have big model and have to work in specific place. Please give the option to switch this off in the next version of Inventor, regards Tomek

Message 16 of 40
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Indeed, there is still no option to control the behavior. The original design intent was to help new Inventor users not knowing a sketch requires the user select a plane or a face. In an empty part (or all objects invisible), Inventor makes origin planes visible temporarily so you have something to pick. If you pre-select an origin plane and create a sketch, the behavior will not occur. If you make one of the origin planes visible, it will not happen.

If you are bothered by the behavior, you could change the template so that at least one origin plane is visible. We do get some negative feedback on this behavior ever since it was introduced in 2012..

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 40
saainsworth
in reply to: johnsonshiue

A reasonable solution would be to have the planes orient the same orientation as the home position on the view cube.  

We have modified our templates so +Z is top view so our Inventor models work well with all other Autodesk/Autocad models in Autodesk Navisworks.  I find it annoying that the starting a sketch rolls the model to a obscure view orientation.  One would think that all Autodesk products would use the same default coordinate systems.  I can see why Inventor users would want it they way it is.  The right answer then is to have good options that allow the user to set it up the way they need it.

Message 18 of 40
neljoshua
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue 

Thanks for the information.

In my opinion showing the planes if none are visible is understandable. Rotating the world coordinates, however, is not. It seems strange.

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Lenovo Thinkpad P1, 2.70 GHz Intel Xeon, 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro
Message 19 of 40
johnsonshiue
in reply to: neljoshua

Hi Josh,

This is a topic frequently being discussed. You can find a few similar threads. Like you said, making invisible origin planes visible is nice when you don't know what to pick. The subsequent rotating behavior is simply based on the chosen sketch plane. There are several behaviors here. You can read it here or find other similar threads.

To suppress that behavior, I personally suggest you make the origin planes visible in your part and assembly templates. Then, when you create a new part, there is always geometry to pick to create a new sketch.

We are investigating a solution to preserve the current behavior and also allow some control over the behaviors. We don't have a good solution yet. Before that happens, you could turn origin planes on and the rotating behavior will be gone.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 40
Operaen

If you press F5 after the assy or part has revolved it will spin back to the initial position it had when you choose sctech

@smilinger wrote:

When creating a new sketch, Inventor will automatically turn on the visibility of the origin workplanes and rotate the view orientation to this:

2016-08-16_21-40-18.png

This is annoying, I like the workplane visibility to turn on but I don't want it to rotate, is there any way I can stop this?

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report