Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete first sketch when deriving a part

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
chrisw01a
397 Views, 5 Replies

Delete first sketch when deriving a part

This changed when we updated to 2022.

Here is the scenario:  Create a new .ipt (we have the setting on to create a new sketch on XY plane) because that is the most common situation.  However, we do a lot of derived parts also.  So you have a new part, with a blank sketch on XY now we need to derive a part into this one so exit the sketch, derive the part.  At this point, Inventor Was deleting the original blank sketch but now it is leaving it so we have to manually delete.

Is there a setting to fix this hopefully?

Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: chrisw01a

No setting as far as I can see... and I confirm what you say that the functionality changed.
We can either have the Inventor QA crew check this out and rollback unwanted changes (start a support ticket if you don't know who to tag in your post), or someone post this into the Ideastation to rot wait for enough support:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232

Message 3 of 6
chrisw01a
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Thank you for your time.  Please have it rolled back if this is an option and if you agree.  Let me know if I should post it over on the Ideastation.

Chris

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Chris and Gabriel,

I suspect the change in behavior was requested. Though it was nice to delete the empty sketch automatically on Derive, it could interrupt other automating process. It would be nicer if there is an option to control the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
-niels-

@chrisw01a wrote:
...(we have the setting on to create a new sketch on XY plane) because that is the most common situation.

Do you really need it to behave that way, or is it enabled out of convenience?

We turned that option off years ago, as we prefer to choose the direction (plane) of our first sketch and the resulting direction of the first feature ourselves. (instead of having to redefine the first sketch if it wasn't oriented correctly)

Turning the automatic sketch creation off would circumvent the issue with the derive not removing an empty sketch, but it depends on your preferences ofcourse.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 6
chrisw01a
in reply to: -niels-

I agree that would be one way to solve this. The issue for us is when we make new parts, which happens often, we usually start it on the same plane for consistency. So in my mind (albeit possibly flawed LOL), creating a new sketch on whichever plane is the same time burden or worse than deleting a sketch that isn't required.

Honestly, this is not a huge problem. It's just that for us, the way it was before worked quite well. Thank you for your suggestion. I'll give it a try for awhile and see how it goes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report