Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut length _ From bent pipes & other bent objects

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
1620 Views, 14 Replies

Cut length _ From bent pipes & other bent objects

Hi guys,

I wanted to know: Is Inventor able to tell you what the cut length of a bent pipe or Round bar is?

For instance in the attache ipt. the pipe started out straight and was bent, would Inventor be able to give me a cut length of what it was prior to bending?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: drawingsCHR7R

Not totally.. Most just calculate or measure the neutral axis loop length and use that I believe.

You can get pretty darn close with that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 15
Daan_M

I don't know any UI tool for this, but mabye there is....

Alternatively you could:

- Draw in splines and measure those, since pipe bending goes according to certain standards.

- Make an iLogic code that automates this

Example source:

Pipe bending calculation 

Message 4 of 15
clint.brown
in reply to: Daan_M

Here's an idea, if this is a "one off", and you need an accurate length, what about using the sheet metal environment?

Have a look at my screencast, the idea is to use a simulated square bar to represent the tube, which you then flatten, it should be quite accurate.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/1eb8ee9b-dd75-406d-b82b-6702b7944a28

(for some reason the sound did not come through, but you can follow along on the video)

Message 5 of 15

Hi! The closest thing in Inventor is flat pattern or unfold in sheet metal. But, it may not apply to round tube. You may be able to approximate it using Unwrap in 2020 or later.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 15

@drawingsCHR7R 

Would added part be a solution for you?

Inventor 2024, Autocad Plant 3D 2024, Vault Professional 2024
Message 7 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: mcgyvr

I see, could you please elaborate further on what the neutral axis loop length is?

I have an idea of what it is but I am not too sure.

Message 8 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: Daan_M

My normal methodology would be to use the arc length command in an idw. I will see about the workflow suggested and try it our. Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: clint.brown

@clint.brown I absolutely love this. definitely going to be using this. Thanks a lot!!

Message 10 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: clint.brown

@clint.brown I'm not too sure how to download the screencast. Would love to have it for future reference. How can I download it? 

Message 11 of 15

Unfortunately not, but thank you for the attempt

Message 12 of 15
clint.brown
Message 13 of 15
LT.Rusty

Frame generator will do it quite easily for you right out of the box, but depending on what you're ultimately trying to accomplish it may wind up being too cumbersome.

On the other hand, it might also wind up being exactly what you need.

If you open up the zip file, there's a bunch of stuff inside it:

"bent part - FG ass'y.iam" is the main file. 

"bent part FGSK.ipt" is the IPT file with the sketch on which the FG work is based.

The folder is automatically created by frame generator, along with everything inside it.

Open up the main assembly file, then you can drill down to the actual part that was created. Look at the parameters, and notice G_L, which stands for GENERATED LENGTH. (There's also B_L, for BASE LENGTH, but ignore that one for now. In this case it's the same as G_L, but in many cases (if not most) it won't be, and that can give you fits later on.)

By default, all these things are displayed in decimal with a ridiculous number of significant figures, but there's ways to fix that and make things show up with a set number of decimal places and / or fractional values. It's not difficult to do, but it is a little time consuming to set up initially, though it will make your life much, much easier in the long term if you're pulling G_L into drawings or part numbers or anything like that.

If these are standardized angles and bends, you could also create some custom content center parts that would have essentially similar functionality built in.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
drawingsCHR7R
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thank you, It is essentially not what I had in mind as the work I do doesn't really require FG, but I do use it from time to time, so I will definitelty have a look at your suggestion.

Thank you

Message 15 of 15

Hi,
try the file named BAR_UNFOLD.zip, which is in the link. Give feedback if this helps.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/round-bar-unfold/idi-p/9678931

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report