Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Color issues

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
nikolas_junioor7G4B3
1248 Views, 19 Replies

Custom Color issues

Hi.
I have had some troublles when creating a custom library for my colors.
I create a custom library. This is OK.
I duplicate Defaut archive em rename it. OK.
I enter whit the RGB values and, and the color and looks good (Pic. 3).
When I apply and close the file. The color doesn't look to have changed (Pic 4.)

But, the color look fine in the part (Pic 5).

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Can confirm, creating a new color (generic appearance) the thumbnail in the appearance browser will change color but the small icon in the dropdown list does not. (IV2023.2)

@johnsonshiue is this a known issue?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 20

I can't repeat this with 2023.2.

New appearance, saved to custom library with generic color.

The color is correct.

BDCollett_3-1670834463138.png

Message 4 of 20
-niels-
in reply to: BDCollett

@BDCollett interesting, seems there's more to it then...

I didn't save my test color to any library, just kept it as a "local" color in an unsaved document.

So to test, i did the same and it didn't update.

Then i saved the document, closed and reopened it and it had a colored icon in the dropdown...

Seems like a refreshing issue where the icon doesn't get immediately updated when applying changes.

Can you confirm the same behavior?

Before saving:

niels_0-1670838270418.png

After saving, closing and reopening:

niels_1-1670838331580.png

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 20

Seems to be something like that, if I create a new one, it will update the first time. If I change the color though, it will not update until saved.

The drop down doesn't match:

BDCollett_0-1670840693150.png

Message 6 of 20

Hi Folks,

I think I have seen this behavior before. It is not release specific. It can happen when the library is not yet updated after the change has been done. Usually, if you restart Inventor or reloading the appearance library, the colors will be in sync. Are the appearance and material library files stored in a shared folder? If yes, I suggest you move it your local drive.

If multiple users need to access the library at the same time, it is better to lock the library and keep it local. When trying to edit the library, only allow one person to edit it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 20
-niels-
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Folks,

I think I have seen this behavior before. It is not release specific.

Ok, that's interesting as well...

It can happen when the library is not yet updated after the change has been done.

In my test i did not save the color to a library, it was a local color.

Usually, if you restart Inventor or reloading the appearance library, the colors will be in sync.

Just closing and reopening the document fixed it in my test.

Are the appearance and material library files stored in a shared folder? If yes, I suggest you move it your local drive.

If multiple users need to access the library at the same time, it is better to lock the library and keep it local. When trying to edit the library, only allow one person to edit it.

Though helpful this does not seem relevant to the actual issue.

Many thanks!

@johnsonshiue see my inline answers above, i think your answer is helpful but overlooking the actual issue.

In my opinion that would be the fact that the dropdown list icon does not update when you apply changes to a local color.

Yes, it gets solved by closing and reopening the relevant document but why would you need to do that?

Seems like a forced refresh could fix the issue, but i have no idea how that would be done.

(Is there an option with iLogic perhaps? Is that part of the UI accessible through the API?)

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 20

Hey @-niels- , almost kkk. Both, the thumbnail AND the icon doesn't change the color, BUT, when I select the color to the model, its looks ok. It changed.

Message 9 of 20

It's exactly what's hapening.

I noticed an interesting thing, when I rename the color whit no special caracter (only letters and numbers) lika RAL 9033, in the most of cases, I don't have the problem, but when I put some character different from letters or  numbers (for exemple Munsell 2,5 PB 4/10) the problem appears almost every time.

Message 10 of 20

@nikolas_junioor7G4B3 

@nikolas_junioor7G4B3 wrote:

...Both, the thumbnail AND the icon doesn't change the color...

Which thumbnail are you referring to then?

In your opening post image "pic3.png" looks changed. (which is probably the appearance browser)

I'm not sure where "pic4.png" is taken...?

and "pic5.png" is the dropdown list.

Does the whole "save, close, reopen the document" work in your case?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 11 of 20

I'm a standalone user. The library is on my machine outside the original root folder. Could this influence anything?

Message 12 of 20

Pic. 3 is when I create the color. It's when I entered RGB values. This part is't OK.
Pic.4 exactly after I click APPLY button. Looks like it's not updating.

Pic.5 is when I choose the color that I have created to my model. The color it's OK.

I don't have time to do save, close, reopening yet. I will updated you tomorow.

Message 13 of 20

@nikolas_junioor7G4B3

I see the same result as you when i use special characters in the name, so now i understand "pic4.png"

niels_0-1670934510401.png

@johnsonshiue this seems to be a different issue even though it feels related.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 14 of 20

I'm happy to find a bug in AI kkkkk
Message 15 of 20

Hi Folks,

Special characters are not supported as the style names. Please avoid using them. It can lead to stale or corrupted styles. Regarding the dropdown menu thumbnail issue, aside from a bug, there could be a logical reason. The dropdown list is a combination of the library styles and document styles. If there are duplicate named styles in different colors, the update may not be immediate.

I have checked our defect system. Most of the known "thumbnail" and "appearance style" defects are closed as of the latest internal build. If possible, please sign up Inventor Feedback Community (https://autode.sk/InventorBeta) and try the latest internal build.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 20

Tks @johnsonshiue , I will avoid special characters.

Message 17 of 20
-niels-
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks @johnsonshiue, just for completeness: Which characters are allowed?

Usually things like - and _ are fine, but inventor can add () for duplicates by itself.

I guess most of everything else is not allowed, just want to make sure without having to test everything myself.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 18 of 20
johnsonshiue
in reply to: -niels-

Hi Niels,

This is a very tough question to answer. I don't have a list showing what special characters are blocked. But, at least I think underscore '_' can be problematic. It is because our internal debug tool shows the appearance name without the underscore. Essentially, the name is truncated. Other special characters don't seem to behave the same.

However, I cannot guarantee other special characters will work. It is because the style name may be referenced differently in different workflows or internal operations. It is hard to predict what will happen. Below is an old thread talking about the material style name with back slash '\.' Based on the debug tool, the name is correctly recognized. But, the discussion seems to indicate some problems.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-material-library-physical-asset-special-chara...

I personally would avoid using any special characters in the style name avoid potential problems.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 20

So, do you think the problem happens because of the special characters???
it also happens when i don't use them.
Message 20 of 20

Hi Nikolas,

I have seen some special characters cause some problems in Styles related workflows. I have seen style corruption not involving any special character. If you have a workflow reproducing the behavior, please let me know.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report