Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating flat drawing of tube

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
4899 Views, 30 Replies

Creating flat drawing of tube

Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a 4 axis plasma table. We are hoping to be able to cope the ends of tubes utilizing the 4th axis. The CAM program supplied with the machine wants a flat drawing (which it will then wrap around the tube) of what will be cut. 

My first thought was to convert the tube to sheet metal and then create a flat pattern or unfold it. But every time I convert to sheet metal it converts the end face of the tube, not the surface around the tube. The picture below is a very basic cope on the end of a 1 inch tube. The highlighted face is what it always ends up converting rather than the entire outside of the tube. 

example picture.png

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
SEANT61
in reply to: S_May

Clearly, diligence and Inventor have a lot to offer. 

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 22 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I just realized that the Delete Face step can be eliminated (at least for this tube) by using Thicken-Intersect instead. (see attached)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous

That is really cool! We already have all of the tubes modeled for the car that I am helping to build, but I will pass it on to other design teams to play with. 

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous

kind of hard to tell what is going on. It looks like you used thicken on the inside face and used the Join selection. Is that right? 

Message 25 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

...used the Join selection. Is that right? 

No, that is not correct.

I used the Intersect option - perhaps the most overlooked tool in Inventor.

Thicken-Intersect.png

Join would not change the part at all in this case.

Cut would leave only the ends.

Intersect removes the non-intersecting portions of the ends because they do not, well, intersect with the Thickened material from inside - out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous

I must have accidentally changed it to Join when I was looking at it. Was in a bit of a rush this morning. 

Definitely haven't had a use for the intersect tool until now. Seems like it will be useful for most of our copes until you exceed a certain angle, at which point your first method should get the job done. 

Message 27 of 31
S_May

hey @Anonymous, what is your answer to all the good Solutions...?

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous

That is a good question. There are several good options. I think that my choice will have to be the first screencast posted by JDMather as it works with all of the models we already have, works with any angle of cope, and takes into account that the cutter will always be perpendicular to the tube. 

The iLogic controlled one is really cool too! But would require us to use that model to redraw every tube on all of the projects that use tube frames. Potentially very useful for next year's vehicles since they are redesigned each year. 

As much as I love Inventor (my personal go to), design teams and other students often bring me drawings in Solidworks instead of Inventor. If anyone is interested, I will be creating a similar thread on the Solidworks forums to see if we can get the process figured out in both software packages. Seems like it will be a very similar process, but Solidworks isn't playing well with making the tube a sheet metal part. It asks for a lot more information than Inventor does, and I'm sure I probably have at least one thing set wrong. 

Thanks for all the help everyone! 

Message 29 of 31
SEANT61

@Anonymous wrote:

. . . . with any angle of cope. . . .

What does "angle of cope" imply?  Any Tube/Tube connection other than a perpendicular "T" juncture will need that secondary processing shown in my first screencast, and explained in the linked thread.

Message 30 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: SEANT61

Well, a perpendicular T (like the example files) are a 90 degree cope. Like in the second part of your screencast, the upper tube is at a different angle (somewhere around 30-45 degrees?). 

Without any narration, I couldn't tell what certain steps accomplished. Especially since you are using AutoCAD for 3D modeling instead of Inventor. I very briefly touched on 3D modeling in AutoCAD in a class 5 years ago. But I don't remember much about how to use it well. 

What I meant by choosing the first screencast by JD instead of the second is that his idea of using the thicken tool and the intersect option will only work up to a certain angle before it starts placing/removing material in the wrong places. The first method of deleting the outer face and then thickening the inner won't, or at least to a lesser extent. 

Message 31 of 31
SEANT61

I can only provide AutoCAD based geometry, hence my screencast and DWG file, but the geometry does demonstrate an issue that any software will need to address.  Anything other than a perpendicular "T" juncture requires the  removal of additional material for a clean fitting connection (i.e., no post CNC grinding).  

That additional step is explained in the linked thread - essentially after thickening the inside wall to the outside, the outside wall must be thickened towards the inside.  The Intersection of those two solids creates the necessary mating condition. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report