Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating flat drawing of tube

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
4641 Views, 30 Replies

Creating flat drawing of tube

Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a 4 axis plasma table. We are hoping to be able to cope the ends of tubes utilizing the 4th axis. The CAM program supplied with the machine wants a flat drawing (which it will then wrap around the tube) of what will be cut. 

My first thought was to convert the tube to sheet metal and then create a flat pattern or unfold it. But every time I convert to sheet metal it converts the end face of the tube, not the surface around the tube. The picture below is a very basic cope on the end of a 1 inch tube. The highlighted face is what it always ends up converting rather than the entire outside of the tube. 

example picture.png

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

It sounds like you want the outside edge of the coped tube for the flat pattern.

In the Flat Pattern Environment you can RMB on the flat face and Export Face As... to generate a .dxf file for use with the plasma.

Depending on what it imports this might need post processing.

Hope that helps!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

WOW! That screencast thing is amazing! That video is very helpful! 

Looks like the rib might take a little bit out of the profile, but I am sure that I will find an easy fix for that. Most likely choose a spot on the end that is flat and just manually redraw the line. That is, if the kerf of the plasma cutter doesn't just cut there anyway. 

Message 4 of 31
kelly.young

@Anonymous yeah, that was the part that I didn't know, how the plasma reads the line data and where it goes.

You can download the screencast, it's free.

It also works for any program so you can switch between windows and whatever program is active it will record.

I would assume that the outside edge is the line where the cut goes, would be interested to see how it cuts.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous

You mentioned that you weren't quite sure what we were using this for. If you are interested, there is a short video below of a system someone else is using specifically for tube notching. We will be using our machine to notch tubes for SAE Baja, Formula SAE, and Nasa moonbuggy teams at our college. This method should be much faster, more accurate, and easier than all of our other methods.

Message 6 of 31
kelly.young

@Anonymous that's a pretty sweet setup. What are you looking to get out of Inventor other than the coping cut, simulation or animation as well?

There is a much better way of getting the line you need than I initially showed using surfaces or a 3D Sketch or split at plane might work though one wall. 

Friday Challenge: what's the best way to do this?

If anyone reading feels like joining in, post your .ipt attempt, I've got a few ideas brewing. 

Message 7 of 31
SEANT61

Not necessarily an IPT attempt, but here is something to consider.

Lacking that fifth axis, a 4 axis setup as shown in the video will only make perpendicular cuts.  The inside tube face, then, becomes more important.  The resultant gaps (see screencast) may even assist welding. 

The process becomes slightly more complex, and more critical, once non-perpendicular mating angles are addressed.  

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 8 of 31
SEANT61
in reply to: SEANT61

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?67512-Creating-tube-miter-correctly&s=fcabf75c5e53b4a23...

had a similar discussion.

Message 9 of 31
S_May

Message 10 of 31
Anonymous

In your video you mentioned using the rip tool. It seems like it would be an easy solution except I can't get it to work. Most of our tubes already have a plane running through them lengthwise, so split at plane might be an easy solution. My Inventor skills don't extend much past the basic 3d modeling tools, yet.  

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous

I've been playing with the split tool and using a plane, but haven't come up with a way to only split one side. Since it splits at the plane it splits the tube in two. When I go to make a flat pattern it wants the part to be turned into a component, which removes the split sections. I tried using a sketch, but it somehow did the same thing even though the sketch only goes through one side of the tube. 

Message 12 of 31
JDMather

Attach your file here and I will create video demonstrating the correct way to solve this problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

An example tube file is attached below. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 14 of 31
JDMather

This is the basic method.

I often use Frame Generator or Multi-body solids and then Derived Components which is a slightly different method based on this method.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous

I hadn't even thought about making the cuts perpendicular for the cutter. We have always used hole saws or insert endmills that cut exactly like the drawing. Just a lot more trial and error with that. 

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful!

Message 16 of 31
JDMather

Oops, when you posted this I assumed you were using the same process.

Perp Cut.PNG

I have seen some people use hand grinder to cope ends and needed a paper template to wrap around the pipe.  In that case, the process would be to use the Outside rather than Inside and Thicken only by thickness of sheet of paper template.

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous

We are going to be using the same method as shown in the image you posted. Our machine just hasn't arrived yet. I'm just working ahead to get the drawings and software stuff figured out. That way we can hit the ground running instead of having a huge learning curve with the machine sitting idle. 

Message 18 of 31
S_May

beautifully explained

Message 19 of 31
SEANT61

With the available CNC capability, why not process for indexing?  This may minimize the need for custom weld jigs.  

If the cutting equipment allows for "Shadowing", the Mating IDs could even be etched at the appropriate locations.

Message 20 of 31
S_May

Hi @Anonymous,

here ilogic controlled

step 1step 1

step 2step 2

step 3 DXF to laser cutterstep 3 DXF to laser cutter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report