Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copying a feature

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
391 Views, 4 Replies

copying a feature

Can anyone tell me if you can copy an Individual feature in a model and reuse that feature in the same model on a different surface.? I am using Inventor 2017 in Windows 10. The clipboard is grayed out.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Generally speaking, most sketch-based features (extrude, revolve, and hole) with any placed features (fillet and chamfer) can be copied from one part and paste to another (or within the same part). Whether or not the operation will work depends on how the features are created and what features are involved. If a set of features can be copied and paste successfully, they can also be extracted as an iFeature to be reused.

If you are encountering an issue, please feel free to post the part here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I can take a look and tell where the problem is.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Actually I just want to learn how to do it. I started by creating just a plain block shaped feature, then I put a hole in it. Now I am just trying to copy the hole from one side to another.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Actually I just want to learn how to do it. I started by creating just a plain block shaped feature, then I put a hole in it. Now I am just trying to copy the hole from one side to another.
Message 5 of 5
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

Right click on the feature in the feature tree and copy.

Right click and paste (you may have to left click on the target face first...)

However - copy and pasting is probably not the best strategy for building features in Inventor.

Patterning or linking features via parameters will usually give a more reliable model.

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report