Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy sub-assembly to use as new design options

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hithere8
1232 Views, 6 Replies

Copy sub-assembly to use as new design options

Scenario: In my assembly (say GA.iam), I have many sub-assemblies and parts. I would like to develop a new option of some sub-assembly (say SubAsm-OptionA.iam). How can we make a copy of everything of SubAsm-OptionA.iam to SubAsm-OptionB.iam with its own lower level components, such that I can modify SubAsm-OptionB's sub-components?

Problem: by default, if a copy of an assembly is made using Windows Explorer, Inventor will look for its original sub-components. That means, in above scenario, all sub-components of SubAsm-OptionB.iam will point to that of SubAsm-OptionA.iam's components, which is not what I want.

Solution:

- complete above steps for Copying from OptionA to OptionB.

- Zip OptionA's file folder (say, OptionA.zip).

- Completely remove OptionA folder.

- Open SubAsm-OptionB.iam from its folder OptionB. Inventor will find broken links and show a Resolve command. 

- Run Resolve command. Since the components that point to original files can't be resolved automatically, Inventor will show a dialog box allowing user to pick the folder to locate the missing files. In our case, it is folder OptionB.

- Choose folder OptionB. Inventor will resolve all broken links.

- Now all sub-components for SubAsm-OptionB.iam will be linked to that in folder OptionA.

- Unzip OptionA.zip to restore its content to have OptionA's stuff back.

-  Now we get both OptionA and OptionB that can be worked on further independently.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: hithere8

Hi! If I understood the requirement correctly, this is so-called Copy Design workflow. There are three ways to do that.

1) iLogic Copy Design. Start up Inventor without opening any file. Click on iLogic Copy Design button -> follow the dialog instruction.

2) Design Assistant. Open the top-level assembly. Go to File -> Manage -> Design Assistant (or you can start up the standalone version in All Programs -> Autodesk -> Autodesk Inventor).

3) If you use Vault, there is a Copy Design too there too. The workflow is pretty similar to #1.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
hithere8
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson,

I do use all those methods as you mentioned from time to time. However, many times I need a quick way to just duplicate from OptionA to new options while keeping all file names and file folder structures identical except the Option names. I don't want to go through all details as assumed in those methods mentioned in your post, I don't want to specify destination folder/file names individually. Those standard methods are just too complicate for my simple task.

As the screenshot below, I needed to copy from OptionA to OptionB so that I could make further changes for OptionB based on design in OptionA. In this case, the method I suggested can be handy.

I do appreciate your quick response.

Sincerely,

dw

Inventor Copy Hack.PNG

Message 4 of 7
hithere8

Also came across this blog article about Inventor Copying Assembly here written by Paul Munford.  Especially I like the infographic that was used in that post, thus recommend it here.

Message 5 of 7
PaulMunford

Hi hithere8,

Trying out different options when designing using a parametric/distributed CAD package like Inventor can indeed be tricky. It might seem like a simple task to you, but to Inventor it's complicated.

Vault makes this much easier. You can do a 'copy design' - adding 'Option A' or 'Option B' suffixes, then use 'Change component' in your assembly to switch between options.

If you don't have Vault, another method would be to keep your process linear. before you explore a new option, 'Pack and Go' to get a 'Snapshot' of your design that you can return back to. Then proceed with your changes. If you need to go back to 'Option A' you can grab the old version of the components from Pack and Go.

If you want to compare versions, you can use your project files to make sure that you are picking up components from the right source.

File names, file paths and copying designs will always be a complicated subject with a distributed file system... which is probably why Fusion360 uses a single document design environment (like AutoCAD!).

Does that help?

Paul

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 7
MechMachineMan

I don't like wholesale copying of files (because then you get multiple files of the same name or similar on the server and your file management gets way tougher over time.)

What I do:

1. Create a parallel 'Option A' folder to the 'Original Design Folder'

2. Create a new project file using Option A as the workpath and original design as a library.

3. Open up the 'highest level sub-assembly' you need to see for analyzing the fit of the new Option A

4. Save and replace until you get down to the level you need (saving files in the Option A folder. This allows you to edit them; every file still referenced from the library will give you warnings.

5. Make necessary design changes using save and replace. 

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 7 of 7
w.pepping

I have an add-in that makes a copy of your assembly or sub-assembly.

After that you can replace your old subassembly with the new one.

Get control of your sheet metal files.
Download the app from matprop.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report