Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content library download

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
inigoF754V
473 Views, 10 Replies

Content library download

I have a doubt whether it can be done or not. Can I download all the content from the inventor's "content center" somehow? I mean I want to have direct access from the explorer to all the files in the content center without having to access inventor.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blandb
in reply to: inigoF754V

If it has been generated and you are using vault, you can "get" the Content Center folder, but you only have access to what what checked in. Since it is essentially "table driven", the items are not built until told to do so when being placed inside of INV. Even if using desktop content (no vault), all the files do not exist as already modeled items.

I could be wrong though. Maybe there is another way.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 11
Gabriel_Watson

Assuming you have Vault, and that C.C. is a library folder saved there, you can Get/Download all that content and then alter your project file in your local disk to point at that C.C. Also change the Application Options > Content Center box to "Inventor Desktop Content" at the correct path there and you should be ok.
Note: usually when I set this up for others I would also download templates and design data to the local disk and make sure the project file (or App. Options > File) paths made sense in pointing to those locations.

P.S.: there might be issues later on to re-link C.C. paths when you switch back to the regular Vault project after designing using the local content, so please test it with a small assembly.

Message 4 of 11
CGBenner

@inigoF754V Welcome!

I'm curious what you would want to do with these part files, outside of Inventor?  As @blandb said, these are table driven parts and what is in the Content Library is just the data table used to generate part files when called on by a command inside of Inventor.  Even if you were able to generate and download every part in the standard Content Libraries, you would be looking at somewhere around 750,000 part files.  If you could describe your use case a little, maybe we can help you fond a solution.  Thanks!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 11
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: CGBenner

750,000 part files, wonder how much space that would take up?

Chris, is that all parts, including all the different industry standards or just the ANSI, etc?

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 6 of 11
Frederick_Law

@inigoF754V wrote:

I mean I want to have direct access from the explorer to all the files in the content center without having to access inventor.

Without Inventor, you won't even see the thumbnail.

They're all Inventor files.

If you got time, you can export them to STEP, STL or other format.

The library without all the generated parts is over 7GB.

Message 7 of 11
inigoF754V
in reply to: CGBenner

Hello,

Just I would want if is possibly to have as .ipt or .step( or any other typer of 3d files) to use as library in other 3D design sofwares, to avoid looking up in webpages as traceparts.com, etc

Thanks

Message 8 of 11
inigoF754V
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

It´s to have a huge lybrary to take as 3d models to use for other design programs. It´s tough to find same standards . thanks

Message 9 of 11
CGBenner
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@The_Angry_Elf 

I am basing this off of documentation I saw several years ago and I'm pretty sure it applies to the entire library.  By now, 2024, it may be even higher than that.  Of course, this also does not contain any custom families added by the user.

@inigoF754V 

The only way to do what you would like to do is to open Inventor, start an Assembly and place an instance of each member of each family in the Content library.  Then save them all.  It can be done, but honestly it might be quicker to search the web for them.  🙂

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 10 of 11
Frederick_Law

@inigoF754V wrote:

Hello,

Just I would want if is possibly to have as .ipt or .step( or any other typer of 3d files) to use as library in other 3D design sofwares, to avoid looking up in webpages as traceparts.com, etc

Thanks

iLogic to generate all files for CC and export them to STEP.

Message 11 of 11
jesserop

Did anyone find a solution for this? I'm looking to do something similar, but not the whole library. Only some welding necks and elbows etc. 

Would it work to put them all into an assembly and then run a .STEP macro? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report