Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I select alternate (negative normal) with a hotkey?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
colin
622 Views, 3 Replies

Can I select alternate (negative normal) with a hotkey?

I don't know if there's a hotkey for this or not, but it affects me most when applying constraints... Anyone have a solution? I've been using Inventor since 5.3 and may have missed the "What's New list" at some point!

(Preamble: I know about the pop-down menu to select alternate faces/edges)

Most of the time when I am applying a constraint between two parts, one of the part's faces is away from me (see attached). I have to spin around to grab it or else wait for the pop-up menu to appear.  Is there a hotkey to start with all the negative (away from me) faces first? The Alternate key would be intuitive. The appearing pop-down menu is nice but it is still X seconds+2 clicks when I could just quickly grab the opposite face nearest my cursor with a single click. There are plenty of cases where this would not yield the intended results but plenty that would too...

I included a screenshot example. In that example, I have to either change my view at least twice to fully constrain this part, or else wait for the "other" options menu to pop up each time, then click through it for half the faces. This for me would be 1.5 sec+6 clicks.

This would apply to lots of other contexts as well whenever you're selecting faces, but it affects me most in the constraints arena.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Tom_Sturtevant
in reply to: colin

Hi -

<CTRL>A is a shortcut for "Select Other".  In many cases it will give you the back-side face when constraining.

Hope that helps!

T.0.M.

Tom Sturtevant
Inventor Part Modeling Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
colin
in reply to: Tom_Sturtevant

Tom,

That seemed to do the trick (I didn't know there was a forced "Select Other" using Ctrl+A).

Much appreciated!

Colin

Message 4 of 4
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: colin

I'm looking for something similar. ctrl+A pops the cursor menu for parts, but not for work planes. When I hover over a work plane when constraining, it shows a normal vector. Sometimes (I don't know why) the cursor menu won't appear and I can't select the vector going in the opposite direction. Is there a way to force a selection?

Edit: Could it be because the wp is in a sub-assembly?

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report