Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for hole pattern for a rectangular flange

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Anonymous
3190 Views, 33 Replies

Best practices for hole pattern for a rectangular flange

Howdy!

Just curious what everyone's best practice is for when they do a hole pattern on a rectangular flange.

There's a few methods I can think of, but I'm not happy with any of them.
A. Create a hole, then use a feature pattern for LxW, but suppress all the holes that aren't in the perimeter
B. Create a hole, then pattern the feature along a "curve".
C. Create a linear pattern of the hole twice, then mirror across the diagonal.

The pros/cons I have with each approach:
A. Not scalable if the flange shape changes. Time consuming to manually pick all internal holes. Excellent for placing fasteners on to the pattern. Allows for different x/y spacing.
B. Doesn't allow for different x/y spacing. Easy to place. Difficult to automate so that you have a hole in every corner, and if you don't do this the pattern is just silly. Excellent for placing fasteners on the pattern.
C. Simple to create the features. Annoying as hell when you start placing fasteners!!!

So, what's everyone's best practice? I'd really love to discover something new here... 🙂
Cheers!
-KB
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
dan_inv09
in reply to: Anonymous

Blair Stunder seemed to be suggesting that there would be too many bolts as the flange got smaller or too few as it got bigger, but isn't the problem with the pattern that the occurrences that need to be suppressed change when the number of holes changes, and the method he suggested has a fixed quantity. Edited by: dan_inv09 on Jan 30, 2009 5:15 PM
Message 22 of 34
Anonymous

It sounds like the flanges are 100% custom so you can have a couple if iPart sizes that get welded to the hoppers as needed.

For infinitely variable, created on the fly, often changed during the design, based off a base assembly or copied machine, I would recommend going with the 4 separate patterns.

This would meet you scalablity needs, keep your current calculations for size in place, and only require the placement of 3 extra bolts once (or only a few times).

For a rectangular pattern, I think the supression formulas may have been in a linked excel spreadsheet. "If" statements were used to determine if the hole was in a starting or ending row. I think the spreadsheet was limited to prestablished maximum X and Y hole pattern vaules. This way the matrix could be sized smaller without any issue, but not greater. There might be a way to make the matrix dynamic in excel, but I think that would require a forced recaculation from Inventor.

Pete
Message 23 of 34
Anonymous

Exactly.

For example, if you have a flange with 8 holes on one side, and 3 holes on the other side. If you go thru and suppress the middle hole for all middle instances (6x), but then increase your flange size so that you require 8holes x 4 holes, then you would manually return to suppress the extra 6 middle holes.

On the model itself, it doesn't likely appear as a problem because the middle holes won't be visible (if you weren't to suppress the instances). However, once you pattern fasteners to this pattern, all the "middle holes" will drive the pattern and inflate your qty.
Message 24 of 34
Anonymous

Thanks Pete!

That's another option I didn't consider. Still a lot more work than what a circular or square flange would require though, eh?
Message 25 of 34
Anonymous

You should be able to copy part with the 4 patterns many times. This should also be easy for others to use without difficulty and it would automatically update. This is the simplest.

Pete
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous

Sorry... I thought you wanted a solution??? Why would I waste
my time on somthing you might not be able to open.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 27 of 34
Anonymous

here's a part that may give you some ideas.

good point: all contained in one feature, so an ifeature should be able to be extracted.

bad point: cannot use a pattern for the fasteners, but I think there are some other tools for placing fasteners that may help.

I usually avoid sketch patterns, but this may be a good use for them since the hole feature can use the sketch points.
Message 28 of 34
Anonymous

So, you still prefer to not separate the forum by
version?

Mike

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Sorry... I thought you wanted a solution??? Why would I
waste my time on somthing you might not be able to open.

--
Expert
Expert.
PcCillin AV
XP

Message 29 of 34
Anonymous

Yes

--
Expert
Expert.
PcCillin AV
XP

Message 30 of 34
br.sbrava

Hello,

I come from the future and I have bad news. It's 2023 and such a feature has still not been implemented.

I currently use pretty much the strategy C which you have described but it's indeed not practical, as it need some 5 features (hole, pattern X, Pattern Y, Mirror X, Mirror Y), what could have been just a hole and a pattern.

A "perimeter pattern" would be excellent.

The issue with the sketch workflow from Josh is that newly added center points will not get a hole until you edit the hole feature.

Has anyone developed a better strategy for this?

Message 31 of 34
JDMather
in reply to: br.sbrava

@br.sbrava wrote:

Has anyone developed a better strategy for this?

@br.sbrava 

Version?

Attach your file here.

You probably should have started a new discussion thread with a link back to this ancient thread for reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 32 of 34
br.sbrava
in reply to: JDMather

Version is 2022 and the file is not relevant, since the procedure is clearly described.

If you have a contribution to this discussion please add your thoughts here.

Message 33 of 34
torbjorn

Some 5 years ago we got the sketch driven pattern, it can be used to collect all these holes in one pattern.

Create a sketch with center points - using sketch patterns to space center points as needed - as basis for the pattern.

Torbjørn

Message 34 of 34
JDMather

@br.sbrava wrote:

…file is not relevant…

If you have a contribution to this discussion please add your thoughts here.

@br.sbrava 

I’ll move on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report