Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autoCAD to Inventor sketch not coming properly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Yashasvi23481
736 Views, 6 Replies

autoCAD to Inventor sketch not coming properly

Hi All,

I have exported outline from AutoCAD to Inventor both in 2008. Without modifying anything, I just extruded to required material. for 5 parts it worked well but this one is coming with black line and green line separately. What do they represent ? I tried to delete some holes from AutoCAD drawing to Inventor after exporting still not working. 

Attaching both AutoCAD and inventor part (Check sketch). It says loop not closed but AutoCAD doesn't have any error. Can you tell me whats wrong ? Its bit urgent if you can please help. 

Thanks in advance and Regards,

Yash

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

@Yashasvi23481

In most cases, AutoCAD doesn't need a watertight sketch like Inventor requires to extrude the shape.  In your sketch if you right mouse click in your sketch and select sketch doctor and diagnose your sketch, it will tell you the issues with your AutoCAD sketch.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7

Hi Mark,

Thanks for suggestion. I have never seen those bessiere curves before ? I tried to give radius dimension, but its picking up the nodes. Also, when I zoom it, the black lines are getting thicker. I changed the layer in AutoCAD to 0 and then black line disappeared all came green. 

I can extrude as surface with outline but not solid. I need to have those typical profile as it relates to tank outline. Right click and design doctor in Inventor ?

I will have a look.

Regards,

yash

Message 4 of 7
rhasell
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

Hi

In order to fix the "Black lines"

Right click on the sketch, Select Properties

Change everything to default.

The scale should automatically change to 1

SketchP1.JPGsketchP2.JPG

As Mark mentioned, there are a few open loops in the sketch.

Also I think the "bessiere curves" you are referring to are splines, you will have to recreate the geometry if you want curves.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 5 of 7
WHolzwarth

Sketch doctor can do it, but it's not very straightforward.

Here's a clean result (2018 IPT).

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@yshahRJWHT wrote:

... but AutoCAD doesn't have any error. Can you tell me what's wrong ? I

There are actually several user-created errors in the AutoCAD geometry.

This video demonstrates a technique for finding and fixing the errors in AutoCAD before importing into Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Mark, Hasall, JD, and Warren,

Thank you for help. It was great lesson when exporting from AutoCAD to Inventor. I have found other way round on top of what you have recommended tell me if its right. Once you paste AutoCAD sketch to Inventor, there is an option called close loop on right click. I went on selecting continuous loop till whole loop was closed. As mentioned it was just prototype so some shapes I had to merge as Loop would nt close....(although I merged them before finding this closed loop option). My question is, by choosing close loop would the profile change or just close the gaps ?

But it is good practice to fix AutoCAD profile before hand so thank you for screencast and other updates and fixing my file.

Best Regards,

Yash

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report