Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding flange to cylinder in sheet metal design using inventor 2017

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2250 Views, 11 Replies

Adding flange to cylinder in sheet metal design using inventor 2017

I've recently drawn a cylinder with a jog and overlap in sheet metal design using inventor 2017. The cylinder dimensions are 2" dia., by 4-3/4" length. The material thickness is 22 Ga. The jog is Thickness*1.1, and the overlap is 1/2". I made 8 triangle cut patterns, 3/4" long around the perimeter of one end creating tabs. My intent is to bend or fold the tabs outward to form a flange I haven't been able to figure out how to craw a sketched bend/fold line on the surface of the cylinder to fold the tabs outward. Is it possible to do this in inventor?

FP-Part#3-Distribution Tube.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you share the model ...

Also why not make one flange and pattern about it ...then do the flat pattern?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
SBix26

It's not possible using Inventor's sheet metal tools.  A bend is by definition a straight line.  

But I'm not sure how well this would work with real sheet metal, either, and for the same reason-- how can this be bent around a curve?  The piece would become octagonal at that end if you bent those eight tabs 90° out.  If that's OK, then you could model it that way, with a lofted flange.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.4
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for the reply Sam. The material this piece will be made of is 22 Ga. galvanized tin. And in a sheet metal shop the actual manufacturing of the piece is quite a simple process. It is first cut in flat metal layout, the tabs are bent to the 90 dg. angles, then it is rolled into the cylinder. Being relatively new at parametric modeling and sheet metal design, I'm finding it more challenging to draw it than to build it. This is a class room project and I'm contemplating designing a flanged insert in solid model design that could be inserted and fastened to one end of the sheet metal cylinder. I'm not sure if its possible to assemble two parts of both sheet metal design and solid modeling. But in actual construction the aforementioned tab design would be the way the tin benders would do it.

Thanks again

Steve
Message 5 of 12
SBix26

Can you post a photo of the actual part?  The tab bends, before the rolling process, are straight lines.  I can't imagine how they could become curved with that amount of material to stretch, so I assume that they remain essentially straight lines, and that end of the piece is an octagon.  How close the transition to round occurs is dependent on the rolling process, though.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.4
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 6 of 12
mdavis22569

Can you share what you have ....

I want to play with it some ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

FP-Part#3-Distribution Tube.jpg

Hi mdavis22569-----This is what I have so far. Hope you can do something with it, and have fun.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Sam-----I don't have an actual part built as of yet. I'll post a photo when one becomes available. The tin can be stretched with a hammer and anvil. If the end does form an octagon I could decrease the size of the tabs and add more of them. I usually do have enough play in tin.

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi mdavis22569-----This is what I have so far. Hope you can do something with it, and have fun.

I think the idea is to attach a *.ipt file here rather than a mere image file.

Are you familiar with the Contour Roll command?

Unfold/Refold?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 12
swalton

Here's one way (Inventor 2014)

I used Contour Roll, Unfold, Extrusions, Patterns, and Refold.

rolled duct.png

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry about the mix-up. Guess I got too many irons in the fire.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

This is the solution I was able to come up with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report