Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addaptive assemblies

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bradeneuropeArthur
641 Views, 12 Replies

Addaptive assemblies

I have an issue that i cannot make sub assemblies adaptive in a assemlby.

I checked already that the subassembly has been unchecked in the document settings.

still I cannot make it adaptive.

I am sure that the assembly is not used adaptive already in another file.

I am using inv 2022.2

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

@johnsonshiue 

Do you have suggestions?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 3 of 13

Found out that when model states are added to the sub-assemblies the adaptivity cannot been set for those assemblies with model states.

is this the wanted behavior.

I see a huge problem coming when migrating from older versions to Inventor 2022

@johnsonshiue 

Could you please take a look at it together with your team?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 4 of 13

Same happens with a part that is adaptive in a assembly.

Test following:

1. Create Assembly A1.iam
  2. Create Part P1.ipt
  3. put P1.ipt into A1.iam
  4. Make P1 Adaptive in Assembly A1.iam
  5. open P1.ipt
  6. Create a Model State new
  7. Make A1.iam Open

You see that the Adaptivity has gone from P1.ipt in the A1.iam

bradeneuropeArthur_0-1638527294461.pngbradeneuropeArthur_1-1638527322944.pngbradeneuropeArthur_2-1638527354503.pngbradeneuropeArthur_3-1638527380617.png

This will lead into problems with older designs, because this was never the case With LODs and View representations.

Please help us with a workaround

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 5 of 13

Anyone with the same findings?

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 6 of 13

@CGBenner 

Can you reproduce it and maybe have a workaround for files that come from Inventor 2018!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 7 of 13

@bradeneuropeArthur  Addaptive in Inventor worked worse with each version. Last year I tried to fight the team for a situational error. I realized that properly as in the beginning, it would never work again. 😞 The only stable addaptive that is currently available is through "copy object".

Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the reply.

Think that changing this must/will have a major impact on designs made with adaptivity also for others than me.

I cannot understand that this is changed without thinking about a workaround.

Maybe there is a workaround available than I would appreciate to be informed about it.

Now it seems that all of our designs are useless when migrated to 2022 version of inventor.

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 9 of 13

@bradeneuropeArthur  This is not the 2022 version of the problem. I already faced it strongly in the 2020 version. In my work, a lot of designed geometry details are used to determine the interconnections. If it is used once and not resized, it works. But if you just move the mats will break everything. I won’t be able to repeat where the problem lies, but I realized the details no longer know who owes someone. I need to use the Copy Object function and then copy geometry from it. It is working stably at the moment. If this stops working, I will no longer see the possibility of continuing to use Inventor in my work.

Message 10 of 13

As far as I can see has this now has to do with only the Model States created in Sub-assemblies or parts.

If you remove the Model states created manually the Sub-assemblies and/or parts can be used adaptive again.

I still hope that this is not meant to be and that it is a bug that will be solved in a soon coming update.

@CGBenner what is your opinion and do you see possibilities here to solve this of bring this to a higher level at Autodesk?

Thanks an regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 11 of 13

Hi Folks,

Let me explain it a bit. Adaptive can only be done in one place only. This means an adaptive part or assembly can only be adaptive in an assembly. For Model States, adaptive can only be active within one Model State. Think of Model States as table driven design. All the design variations should be captured by the table. Adaptive is a way to trigger changes from outside of the component. Such relationship cannot be captured on the table. As a result, only one adaptive is allowed.

Regarding migrating to 2022, there isn't a change in behavior. For legacy LOD, though adaptive was allowed in multiple LODs, the shape did not change in any LOD. Consider LOD Suppress more like Design View Invisible.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13

@johnsonshuie
Could you please show us the workflow that adaptive works in one model state? For me it is not working at the moment

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 13 of 13

Hi Arthur,

I think my prior reply was a bit confusing. I am sorry. Let me clarify a bit more. A component can only be qualified to be adaptive (part or subassembly) within an assembly when it only has Master Model State. Once it has a non-Master Model State, Adaptive flag will be grayed out. It is because the part or subassembly is purely table driven and it cannot be driven by something outside of the part or subassembly itself. Such relationship cannot be captured on the Model State table. The same rule applies to iPart and iAssembly.

However, an adaptive part or subassembly (Mater Model State) can be only be adaptive within one Model State of the hosting assembly. For example, you have an assembly like this, ASMB -> PartA and PartB.

ASMB has two Model States: Master and MS1.

PartA only has Master.

Let's say you make PartA adaptive in ASMB:MS1. Then it will not be adaptive in ASMB:Master.

This is what I meant earlier. PartA itself cannot control it is adaptive or not. I am sorry for the confusion.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report