Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add the Sketch Symbol Library Folder to the Folder Options in Inventor Project

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
fstiger281
393 Views, 12 Replies

Add the Sketch Symbol Library Folder to the Folder Options in Inventor Project

I would like to move the Sketch Symbol Library Folder available to a location where all users have access to, to be more specific, I will be moving it to Vault but I would like to incorporate the path to the existing Inventor Project, so the users have by default the right path set without them having to manually change it in the Application Options.

Is there a way to add the Sketch Symbol Library Folder to the Folder Options in the Inventor Project?

If there is not or what is the best way to move the symbols to Vault, so all users have access to them?

Thanks

Inventor 2013, Vault 2013 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 -64-bit
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CGBenner
in reply to: fstiger281

@fstiger281 

Hello!  The Sketch Symbol folder can be set in your Application Options under the Files tab.  But... the location cannot point inside of the Vault, the files will need to reside somewhere local or on a shared drive.  My best advice would be to create a location on a shared network drive, place all of your symbols there and then make sure that for all users, the location is mapped in Application Options.  Then,... back them all up to the Vault.  If changes are made or new symbols added the Vault can easily be updated to keep up.  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 13
blandb

It has been placed into the Ideas station multiple times, hope one day it gets moved there lol.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 13
fsdolphin

Same user, different account, sorry: 

Thank you for your reply.  As I said in my original post, what I'm trying to avoid is having to update each user's machine to update the Application Options.  I know the paths cannot point directly to the internal Vault paths, but it can point to a local folder in the working directory, I don't see why it couldn't.  In fact, even though it looks like the option to add the folder path directly to the project is not available, my plan is to upload the library to Vault and have each user download it to their local working folder and map each user manually in the Application Options. Thanks.

Message 5 of 13
CGBenner

@fstiger281 @fsdolphin 

This explains why I was so confused...

I did gloss over some of the details in your original post, and I apologize for that.  But, as of now... adding the path to the Project is not possible as far as I know.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 6 of 13
Frederick_Law

It's inside "Design Data".

I have "Design Data" in Vault to sync Style with other user.

Vault Project-01.jpg

In Vault:

Vault Project-02.jpg

Message 7 of 13
fstiger281

@Frederick_Law, does Inventor points you to that location by default when you insert a symbol? I tied it and it defaults to the folder specified in the Application Options.

Windows 7 -64-bit
Message 8 of 13
fstiger281
in reply to: CGBenner

@CGBenner - Sorry about the confusion about the different user accounts. 

Windows 7 -64-bit
Message 9 of 13
Frederick_Law

@fstiger281 wrote:

@Frederick_Law, does Inventor points you to that location by default when you insert a symbol? I tied it and it defaults to the folder specified in the Application Options.

Don't know.

I put all Symbols in the drawing Template.  Old school, Symbol Library is "new".

Does the Project file point to Vault location?

PS:  Yes, it still use location in Application Option.

All user have to manually set it to "Design Data" location in Vault: C:\Vault Workspace\Design Data\Symbol Library\

Message 10 of 13
fstiger281

Ah, got it, makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Different question, how hard was it to move the Design Data folder to Vault? I remember trying to move it and I ran into issues. Just to be clear, I dragged and dropped the Design Data folder in Vault and changed the path in my project and didn't work, it has been a few months, but it said something about not being able to manage styles from Vault and I gave up. Do you have any recommendations on how to move the Design Data folder to Vault? Any tutorials you followed, anything. Thanks.

Windows 7 -64-bit
Message 11 of 13
Frederick_Law

Where was the "Design Data" folder?

Dragging to Vault means Check In from that location.

Most likely it's not in Vault Workspace.

Copy "Design Data" to Vault Workspace first then Check it In.

VaultFileLocation-02.jpg

Message 12 of 13
Frederick_Law
Message 13 of 13
fstiger281

The Design Data folder was in our share drive, from there I dragged and dropped it to Vault. Thank you for the link, I will dig into it more.

Windows 7 -64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report