Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2 in BOM?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
CADMonkey4Life
745 Views, 5 Replies

1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2 in BOM?

Hi,

Got a good question from a customer that uses alot of piping in Inventor but not Tube & Piping (don't ask why).

They are looking for a way to get traceability in the piping-partslist like for each commponent, example 8'' Flanges to be called 1.2, 1,2 and 3'' 90deg elbows 2.1, 2 and so on. Each alike part should have the same number followd by a unique ID nr. 

They've  built a nice Content Center where all parts are taken from so they're on a good heading.

Grouping seems not to be the answer here but I'm all open for help.

/David

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

CAD Monkey 4 Life!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CADMonkey4Life

BOM is not my strong point, can you "un-tick" the part number row merge option in the BOM editor (right hand side at the top) and then type in your codes in the BOM  table? As far as I know your re naming will only reflect in your assembly parts list and will not "corrupt" your content centre files.

Message 3 of 6
karthur1

....Each alike part should have the same number followd by a unique ID nr. ....

Just trying to figure out where they are headed.  So for every (8in flange for example) part, they will have the same part number followed by a unique identifier, so basically a unique "smart" number?  Where is this unique id coming from?  Spreadsheet, other database, or the user making it up?

I would assume that they will have piping components as well as other standard components such as fasteners, gaskets...etc. Of course the quantites for these other components could be something other than "1".  It sounds like to me these will be Custom iParts.  Each time the user places one of these into the assembly, they will give it a filename.  This filename is the partnumber that will appear in the parts list. These will be job (project) specific and will only be used once. 

Another way is to only have one 8in flange and then manually edit the BOM to include the unique identifier. This would eliminate many duplicate model files for the same part (but with a different part number), but can be dangerous since the information is manually edited.

Kirk

Message 4 of 6
CADMonkey4Life
in reply to: karthur1

Thanks for all the replies. I've attached a picture to show a little clearer what they are looking for. Previously this had been a manual work and it works kind like the structure legacy BOM but without the need for the parts to be in sub assembly.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

CAD Monkey 4 Life!
Message 5 of 6
CADMonkey4Life
in reply to: karthur1

@karthur1 wrote:

....Each alike part should have the same number followd by a unique ID nr. ....

Just trying to figure out where they are headed.  So for every (8in flange for example) part, they will have the same part number followed by a unique identifier, so basically a unique "smart" number?  Where is this unique id coming from?  Spreadsheet, other database, or the user making it up?

I would assume that they will have piping components as well as other standard components such as fasteners, gaskets...etc. Of course the quantites for these other components could be something other than "1".  It sounds like to me these will be Custom iParts.  Each time the user places one of these into the assembly, they will give it a filename.  This filename is the partnumber that will appear in the parts list. These will be job (project) specific and will only be used once. 

Another way is to only have one 8in flange and then manually edit the BOM to include the unique identifier. This would eliminate many duplicate model files for the same part (but with a different part number), but can be dangerous since the information is manually edited.

Kirk

Only Item nr in BOM should be affected. The Item nr is abit closed down in regards to merging with other values so it gets abit tricky. I guess it will be more or less impossible to get it to be automatic and I will make a suggestion in for coming releases. They're probalby not the only company working with traceability on welds and on welded components.

CAD Monkey 4 Life!
Message 6 of 6
karthur1

I dont see how they can do that with the item nr "automatically".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report