Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can't get AutoCAD 2017 to run on a new PC with Windows 11

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
graham
12517 Views, 21 Replies

Can't get AutoCAD 2017 to run on a new PC with Windows 11

I'm trying to install AutoCAD Mechanical 2017 on a brand new PC running Windows 11 and can't get it to run. The program starts to open and gets as far as  showing "AcConnectWebservices.arx".... It then pauses briefly and then the AutoCAD screen disappears and reverts back to the original Desktop view. 

I've been able to get Inventor 2017 to run on the same machine albeit with an issue of not linking to the Tutorials but at least it runs. I don't want to have too hang on to my old laptop just for the odd time that I use AutoCAD. I'm retired and can't justify going to subscription service.. 

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rkmcswain
in reply to: graham

Windows 11 wasn't around in the year 2015 when AutoCAD 2017 was being designed.

It may run, but no guarantees, or fixes.

@pendean may have some suggestions?

Also, regarding your last sentence, do you have to use AutoCAD? There are less expensive alternatives if the AutoCAD subscription does not fit your budget.

Message 3 of 22
graham
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the quick response. All duly noted. Just wondering if anyone else has been able to get an older version of AutoCAD to run on Windows 11. I'll keep trying things. All of my other older software programs are running fine on Windows 11.
I'm a retired structural engineer and only use AutoCAD here and there now for personal projects. Last year it was a new dock for a winter home. Next project will be a garage/bunkie for the cottage this year or next. Just like to keep my mind occupied and learn the software a little better.
I realize there are other options
Message 4 of 22
pendean

@Anonymous wrote:
>>>...Just wondering if anyone else has been able to get an older version of AutoCAD to run on Windows 11...<<<
Any reason a websearch for your issue was not mentioned in your first post? aka have you seen this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-Exception-in-acconnectwebservices-arx-ARX-command-when-loading-AutoCAD-LT.html and these https://www.google.com/search?q=autocad+error%3A+AcConnectWebservices.arx

Once that is done, you might avoid other issues with the decades old tried and true Microsoft WindowsOS feature of compatibility mode that remains in Win11 https://www.hawkdive.com/how-to-run-older-software-on-windows-11/

Enjoy the ride.
Message 5 of 22
graham
in reply to: pendean

I have tried both of these suggestions but still have the same issue. The install just proceeds so far and then exits without any sort of error message.

Message 6 of 22
pendean

There is always an error: look in your WinOS log-in folder for a log file and share it here.

Short term fix: rethink your Win11 choice until options from Microsoft or 3rd party vendors appear for your older software.
Message 7 of 22
graham

Here is a copy of the "Log" from Windows Event Viewer....

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2/2/2022 10:57:34 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: GrahamW
Description:
Faulting application name: acad.exe, version: 27.0.104.0, time stamp: 0x578db0aa
Faulting module name: libeay32_Ad_1.dll, version: 1.0.2.5, time stamp: 0x566e8842
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000003863
Faulting process id: 0x3260
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8184d8fa51850
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\acad.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\libeay32_Ad_1.dll
Report Id: ed67fb95-2125-41df-b179-e4995532a7a4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-02T15:57:34.5609100Z" />
<EventRecordID>11674</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="21636" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>GrahamW</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>acad.exe</Data>
<Data>27.0.104.0</Data>
<Data>578db0aa</Data>
<Data>libeay32_Ad_1.dll</Data>
<Data>1.0.2.5</Data>
<Data>566e8842</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0000000000003863</Data>
<Data>3260</Data>
<Data>01d8184d8fa51850</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\acad.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\libeay32_Ad_1.dll</Data>
<Data>ed67fb95-2125-41df-b179-e4995532a7a4</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Message 8 of 22
pendean
Message 9 of 22
graham

Thanks for your help on this. That did the trick. When I did a search on my PC, the "libeay32_ad_1.dll" file appeared in quite a few places. Also, the Autodesk software for the Ultimate Design Suite (including the updates) installed about 5 different versions of the file. 

Now that it's running OK for AutoCAD 2017 Mechanical, should I also replace all of the other versions of that file with this new 2019 file?

Message 10 of 22
jorgeseptien

I am having trouble with this as well. I followed your suggestions of replacing the libeay32_Ad_1.dll and then rebooting.  It does open, but each time it opens I get an unhandled exception error referring to accloudconne... file on the Program Files\AutoDesk\AutoCAD 2017 folder.  Is there any way to stop that error from occurring?

Jorge Septien
Message 11 of 22
mdavis22569

@graham  @jorgeseptien 

it's not supported for this OS for a reason.   So you're taking a risk with your files corrupting due to crashes etc. 

See this all the time with those on older and using W10, evidently there's a .NET or C++ that ends up causing it not to work and the customer / users are all upset at Autodesk.  

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 22
jorgeseptien
in reply to: mdavis22569

Wow. That was not helpful. What is the reason? It started happening on Windows 10. What was the reason then? It worked with Windows 10 and then after an update, it stopped working. Of course people are going to be upset with Autodesk (and Microsoft).

Jorge Septien
Message 13 of 22
mdavis22569

because 2017 lifecycle will come to an end.

Also W7 and W10 was out when 2017 was released W11 wasn't on the radar. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-r...

2019 and older isn't supported on W11.

Just like 2016 and older wasn't support on W10.    

Why be upset at Autodesk when they clearly list the system requirements and update them as needed:

Like this for W11
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Will-A....

W10
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Window...

A lot of software isn't support on the newer OS's .. EVEN addin's are fully supported for the older versions of the software on the new OS. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 14 of 22
jorgeseptien

Dude. I'm saying it worked on Windows 10 and then it didn't. I'm upset at Autodesk because they are in such a hurry to put out each version without fixing the previous in order to justify the cost. I find it ridiculous. Like I said, the same thing happened with Windows 10. So your suggestion is just to follow in lockstep with Autodesk and go to the next version. I'm sorry. That is not a great solution on a forum for solutions. Next you'll tell me "just reinstall Windows 7".  Btw I did hear that on this forum as a suggestion. I was hoping to find someone who would say "oh it is this dll that was updated" similar to what pendean suggested. Your links about big brother telling me when to move on to the next version is not what I was looking for. I'm sorry I am salty, but I need solutions. It worked with 10 and then it didn't. Explain that. 

Jorge Septien
Message 15 of 22
mdavis22569
in reply to: jorgeseptien

I think I did say it's a .dll issue when I said they end up with C++/.NET issues.

and the original ticket was 2017 on W11.

For:

I'm sorry. That is not a great solution on a forum for solutions. Next you'll tell me "just reinstall Windows 7".

You're on FORUMS about an issue. You're not asking Autodesk Support. 

Honestly I'd probably go to W7 if I was on 2017.   Less updates.  W10 is releasing C++/.NET and combo updates of these all the time.  So yeah, that's going to be a problem and ends up having to them reinstalled

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 16 of 22
pendean

@jorgeseptien wrote:

Dude. I'm saying it worked on Windows 10 and then it didn't.

Self help start here https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/can-t-get-autocad-2017-to-run-on-a-new-pc-with...

Message 17 of 22
rkmcswain

@mdavis22569 wrote:

You're not asking Autodesk Support.

If so, they are simply going to say "upgrade to 2023". End of story.

Message 18 of 22
jorgeseptien

Pendean,

My issue was that your "answer" to this post gave me an error each time I opened the program.  SO your solution was for me to try it again?  I do not understand your reply.  It did not work.  

Jorge Septien
Message 19 of 22
mdavis22569

So @jorgeseptien 

What's the issue you're having ... 

Is it about installing on W11?

OR ?

Share some images / screenshots 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 20 of 22
pendean

@jorgeseptien What did you try exactly and how in detail, and what error did you get exactly and in detail?

And did you post in the Microsoft User Forums for additional guidance and help since, basically, the fix you seek is Microsoft based or need to come from Microsoft or those that like to focus on such abilities like https://blog.longbowsoftware.com/installing-old-versions-of-autocad-on-windows-7-windows-8-and-windo...

You seem confused about understanding you have a unique problem created by you and at some point you alone need to seek out a solution since you are outside of Autodesk's Support parameters for supported OS variants.

>>>...It worked with 10 and then it didn't. Explain that. ...<<<
That only means something new broke it: only you can find out hat that is, only you need to identify it, only you need to test to remove it or find out how to remove it, and only you put everything back to the week/month/year it all worked just fine.

So... how would you like to proceed? You've been given about all the guidance there is over here from fellow end users like you who are trying to help.

Good luck either way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report