Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoDesk 2021 License Key Invalid

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
MCUSD25
1288 Views, 39 Replies

AutoDesk 2021 License Key Invalid

Edit: Got it, support reached out and gave us new license keys!

Hey all, we have 2021 AutoDesk products installed on our machines at our schools. We were using the individual license key model to license these installs, which we receive for free as part of being an educational institution. Recently we received an automated email that we may need to re-enter the license key on the installed software. Roughly one month after that email, that was the case.

I went to the machines to try the license key for AutoCAD 2021 that was included in that email. It was the same license key that was already entered. No dice, the key was invalid. I tried the Revit key for Revit 2021. No dice, the key was invalid. This was persistent across multiple machines. I then went to the website and logged in. In one of the views, it gave the same key we already had alongside the download. In another view (viewing all license keys for a given product), it said 2020 and 2021 did not have license keys, and that we needed to contact support to receive a new one.

We have contacted support twice, one time we were "going to hear from [the AutoDesk] education department" with no follow up, and the other time was the same (with follow up to see if this was still an issue, which it was, and was then never resolved). It has been at least a month since the initial contact with support, but we are still having this issue. Just this morning we received an email with the same license key we already had entered, which provided the same result (on a different machine than the first ones we had been testing on).

Any ideas? It is not feasible for us to update to 2022 or 2023 in the near term, as that would take much longer than we have the capacity for currently, and would require the shop teachers to purchase new teaching materials for the updated software. Currently this software is completely unusable due to the licensing, with no option for a trial period (I believe that is how the teacher was getting by before ever contacting us about the license being expired/invalid). Thank you!

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

@MCUSD25, have a look at this..!!

(https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-...)

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 3 of 40

Hey there, thanks for the answer! Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything that sticks out to me in regards to that page.

Below is what it states:

• The license changed from serial number to "Sign In" without serial number.

This has been tested, but signing in with our AutoDesk account (which should have the license associated with it) yields the same "no license found" error.

• The serial number is for a network license rather than a stand-alone license.

This is not the case, we have always used stand-alone license keys and these stand-alone license keys are still available for 2023 products.

• The serial number does not match the media (or product key) used either during installation or during initial activation of the product.

We are using the license key provided to us from AutoDesk via email, specifically for this version of AutoCAD 2021.

• The serial number has been upgraded to a new release. (Active subscription contracts have previous version benefits, so this does not apply to them.)

Unsure of this, but have been unable to get ahold of support to verify.

• The product has been upgraded to a different product. (This can also happen if with an active subscription contract. Check the previous version eligibility list.)

Again, unsure of this due to the lack of contact with support, however we should still be eligible for previous versions (up to 3 years back) due to us being a registered educational institution on an education AutoDesk account.

• The product has been returned through a reseller or the online store.

I can confirm this is not the case, as we do not pay for this and receive it for free via the education program.

• The subscription license has lapsed or been canceled.

This is probably what happened, the license key probably expired. Various sources have instructed us to contact support to get a new license key generated. However as mentioned before, this has been fruitless.

• The serial number is not registered.

Same as above, but trying to sign in with our actual AutoDesk account yields the same issue.

Message 4 of 40

@MCUSD25, What you have stated above might be the causes. 

But have you tried the Solutions listed below..?

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Message 5 of 40

Hey there, yes we have verified all information (including the fact that it is eligible for previous version), and we have tried all solutions listed on that page to no avail.

Message 6 of 40

@MCUSD25, Just to make sure, have you tried to reset the license too..?

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Message 7 of 40
mdavis22569
in reply to: MCUSD25

@MCUSD25 

Share what you show in your Account manager for our license and license type .. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 40
MCUSD25
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 

This is what I get, even when selecting AutoCAD 2021 for the product it only gives me a 2023 license key. I have tried contacting support to get a 2021 license key, and have not had any luck getting a new one. (I did blank out our license key for obvious reasons). Is there another screen you would like me to check?

AutoCAD.png

Message 9 of 40

@rushabhthakkar_910

Hey, yes, we did just follow the steps on that page to no avail. I think the root of the issue is that we are unable to get a new key for 2021, which requires support to provide it to us if I'm not mistaken.

Message 10 of 40
mdavis22569

Does it take the Serial Number?

Then you need 001M1 

001O1 is for 2023

So the error message part if you can. 

Do you have an option to go to the Classic Page? 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 40
MCUSD25

Yes, the only license key I receive is for 2023 on that page. When I go to download the installer for AutoCAD 2021, it provides me with a key via email that does not work. That key that is provided via email is for product 001M1, which I have confirmed is installed on the affected machines. I believe I need support to provide me a new key for 2021. The AutoDesk virtual agent has said as much, but I have not received a new one. Below is the email I receive, again with license key blocked out:

AutoDeskEmail.png

And here is the classic view, which instructs me to request a new key for 2021. When I do this, I am brought to the AutoDesk Virtual Assistant. This Virtual Assistant is where I've been before to request a new license key for 2021 to no avail. I have also tried their general support chat to no avail either, though that got me further as I was told I would be contacted by AutoDesk Education Support.

AutoDeskClassic.png

Message 12 of 40
mdavis22569

Click the get Serial number there .. what happens? 

Generally educational is the Current and 2 prior .. 

Why the need for so far back for educational version if you don't mind me asking

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 13 of 40
MCUSD25

Hey, yes, as you can see from my previous reply I have tried clicking "Get Serial Number" which takes me to the AutoDesk Virtual Agent. It does not lead to me obtaining a serial number. The reason for 2021 is that is what's already installed, and the teaching materials that our teachers have is for 2021. They do not want to switch up versions of software and teaching materials in the middle of the year, if at all possible to avoid. Thanks!

Message 14 of 40
mdavis22569

Follow up on the educational side..

But this is part of it... See what AVA can get you

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-c...

https://www.autodesk.com/education/support

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 15 of 40
MCUSD25

I believe this is where I got hung up the last time. The AVA tells me I need to finish setting up our education profile to confirm our eligibility using the SheerID we provided. When I follow the link it provides to finish setting up, that page tells me that I already have education access for the next 12 months as you can see from the image below:

MCUSD25_0-1670420890482.png

This is after I click the link provided by AVA, and click "Get Started" as it shows. Here is the chat log:

MCUSD25_1-1670421228032.png

MCUSD25_2-1670421246652.png

MCUSD25_3-1670421268080.png

At no point am I ever presented with the second screen shown in the AVA, as the account page shows us as having been successfully verified already.

Message 16 of 40

@MCUSD25, What happens when you click on get Autodesk software in the first image you shared above..?

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Message 17 of 40

Hey there, when I do this it just takes me back to the page to download software. This time, however, when I download AutoCAD 2021 I do not even receive an email with a license key, like I did before.

MCUSD25_0-1670421880012.png

I can download the installer for AutoCAD 2021, but it does not give me a license key via email, nor does it show one on this page.

Message 18 of 40

@MCUSD25, Try downloading it from Autodesk Virtual Assistant..!!

rushabhthakkar_910_0-1670422054349.png

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Message 19 of 40
mdavis22569

@MCUSD25 

Question, I see this:

mdavis22569_0-1670422127031.png

Are you signed in under the Wendy account?

And not seeing the 2021( just making sure)

Also, @LeoWarren-EDU 

Something you can help with?

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 20 of 40
MCUSD25

Correct, I am signed in under the "Wendy" account. Yesterday and all previous times while trying to download AutoCAD 2021 (or other 2021 products), it would email us like you saw in the screenshot you linked. However, this time I am not getting any email when downloading 2021, after clicking "Get AutoDesk Software" on that previous page.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report