Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T and slow renders

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
666 Views, 8 Replies

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T and slow renders

I just built a new machine and decided to save a few bucks and use the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
I looked at some 3ds max benchmarks and this processor should have come in above my i7-920 but it is way slower...

Any ideas why this might be?

4 gigs ram and xp pro 64 bit

Not overclocked

Using Final Render as a renderer. I have not gotten around to try MR and the scanline yet.

Q
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I exited EasyTune and now the machine is running faster.. Not sure it is quite up to spec yet but way better. I also reset defaults before i exited.. not sure what i had done in there but it was not good i guess.

Q
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

So after i played with it for a while it was almost where it should be in render times... Then i started a new render job and it was slow again. So i changed a few things in the bios and now it is better but still not great. About 20% behind where it should be instead of 30%

When i check the cores they jump from 60 to 100% but if i check my i7-920 they stay pretty solid around 98%

Q
Message 4 of 9
dongray

Hey Quenton,
Any update on this?
I'm considering upgrading my Phenom II 950 if the mother board will take it.
Message 5 of 9
dongray

Hmmm, after checking (wrote the first entry from work) my present processor is the Phenom II x4 965,
so it's actually got a faster clock speed than the one being discussed here.
So I would be adding a couple more cores but no real individual processor speed.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hey Don,

Well i messed with it and did not seem to get anywhere but eventually it seemed to get faster on its own if you can imagine. I have no idea why either. But eventually it was just a few seconds faster then my i7-920 which i think i have running at 930 speeds. But i think it is supposed to be running at about 20% faster then it instead of like 0.5% So i am not really impressed.

I could have spent an extra $200 and gotten a much faster i would expect Intel machine... But i was thinking that if it was as fast as it was supposed to be i was going to build a few more to replace my render machines but i dont think i will be doing that unless someone can tell me why it is so slow. Maybe my board or ram?

Q
Message 7 of 9
dongray

What does the windows performance test say as far as where any slow downs might be?
It will tell you if the memory or hard drive is bottle-necking the system performance.
Maybe run some benchmarking software to see what it can tell you.
I decided to buy the processor, double my ram and new video card,
first time I've gotten so much boost from staying with the same motherboard.
Will post here once I get it all going and maybe run some render tests to see how they match up with your system.
I also use FinalRender, I find it easiest.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

What version of windows is the Performance test under? I have XP on that machine so not sure if it was part of that one. I have win 7 pro on my main workstation.

Q
Message 9 of 9
dongray

It's only available in Vista and Win 7 as far as I remember.
In Win 7 it's at: Control Panel\Review your computer's status\View performance information

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report