Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Library in Deploment Image

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
834 Views, 4 Replies

Content Library in Deploment Image

We have the new AutoDesk Product Design Suite.    That suite has AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 which I'm trying to understand how to handle the Content Libraries.   I am not sure how to get the content libraries on our network with out building into the deployment.  I'm assumming I would not want to have every install make new libraries on our network.

Can I do a single installl and then copy the them to our network location, then just setting the paths in the user deployment image?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am looking for the same option. How do I build "contentlib.xml" to point to my server location.

I figured out how to install the:

Content Library  = %SourceDrive%\Content\ADSKMaterials\2012\ILB

Materials Library  = %SourceDrive%\Content\ADSKMaterials\2012\CM

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

We are on Subscription so I have submitted a query about this.   It usually takes 24 hour for a reply.   I will try post a reply once they respond.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I am also under subscription, just not used to using those features. I am old school. Please let me know, or where the answer is in the subscription area.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Sorry for lthe long delay and getting this posted.   I didn't get a response on subscription for several days and then when it did come I didn't recieve a notice that it was posted.   

Jist of it is install new or move your existing libraries.   Then develope the deployment image after moving to the network location.   As I have found out if you do a deploy to create the library they are removed with the uninstall of that same imgage.  I am now trying this for real as it takes several hours to unistall, cleanup, and reinstall.    I will be looking into why I didn't find any help as Douglas was suggesting exists.  I had tech guy at our VAR doing search with me.  Douglas forgive me if I have shared without permissions:    

Subject: Regarding [CaseNo:05879943.] Installing AutoCAD 2012 Mech content Libaries
Body:
Hi Jim,
So far I have compared the AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 install options with those in the Autodesk Product Design Suites for 2012. The options are identical between these two options. I think this will answer all of your previous and current questions:
The “Install Content libraries” radio button installs the content to the folder specified. The expectation is that the folder either does not exist or is empty. The installer fills the folder with the files for the content. Files already in this folder will be overwritten.
I’d suggest you use the best practice of installing AutoCAD Mechanical for configuration testing and setup before you move on to creating a Deployment. You can then copy the Content Library from the default location to your network share by following the instructions in the “To copy a custom library from one machine to another” section of the “Publish and Distribute Content Libraries” topic in Help. If you wish to not use the default libraries you can add your custom libraries or create your own following the instructions in Help. Other help topics with instructions and content are:
·          Custom Content Libraries
·          Configure Standard Part Content Libraries
·          Add Items to a Content Library
·          Author, Customize and Publish Content Libraries
·          Customize Standard Part Content Libraries
·          Many topics are available by searching “Content Library”
There is also the option to migrate custom libraries. This is discussed in the Help topic “Migrate Content Library dialog box”.
When done I would recommend copying the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Autodesk\ACADM 2012\Acadm\Gef\Gdb\Contentlib.xml” file to your network share. This is the file you would choose with the “Don’t install, use shared content libraries” option discussed below.
The “Don’t install, use shared content libraries” radio button does not install any files. It configures the product to point to the folder specified with this option. Specifically it points the resultant configuration to the “Contentlib.xml” and “Database.cfg” files in the root of your content library folder. The expectation is that the specified folder exists and already contains this content such as the copy in a previous paragraph or other methods for creating Content Libraries in the Help topics mentioned above and others. When choosing this option you must select the Path Information file, Contentlib.xml.
The “Create a local copy of the path information file” creates a copy of the Path Information file, Contentlib.xml, in “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Autodesk\ACADM 2012\Acadm” and configures AutoCAD Mechanical to use that file for Content Libraries.
I believe all of your questions are answered in the information I have provided. Let me know if there is something else that you want to know. The Help topics that I noted are also a good resource for managing the Content Libraries.

Best regards,

Douglas Lauritsen
Autodesk Support Team 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report