Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placement of columns when changing the bridge type

Placement of columns when changing the bridge type

By testing propals of briges there is the following behaviour. It's more an idea than a defect. That's why I post it here.

I build a bridge and I made some modifications of the placement of one pier. After that I changed the type of the bridge from paramatic to steel. The pier is moving to the original place, that means the seetings I did are resetted. It would be better if the placement of the pier remains if the type of the bridge is changed. (see video)

Another beahviour:

• If you don't change the placement of the piers and only change the number of Piers (from 3 to 6),  the piers are resetted to the original number after changing the type of the bridge. 
  • After changing the number of the piers again (from 6 to 3) the piers are again at the original place. 

1 Comment
ara.ashikian
Autodesk

Hi Eric

A better workflow  is to change the girder types in the original parametric bridge from concrete to the steel plate girder from the catalog.  In fact, parametric bridges are meant to handle all bridge superstructure types, including the steel girders, whether this is for plate girders or composite box girders, and for a mix of different girder types (such a precast girder approach spans and steel main spans etc.). The parametric bridge approach is more flexible and also opens up the door to the bridge analysis workflows.

When changing girder types as indicated above, the piers do not get modified.

Also, you can use the right click menu to add a new pier to an existing bridge without affecting the layout of the existing piers.  Albeit, this is suitable for adding a smaller number of new piers.  Changing the bridge's number of piers in the card does trigger an overall update and is really only suitable at the start of the modeling process.  

I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Ara

PM InfraWorks / Bridges

Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report