Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting code with manual NC operations - Fusion 360

Inserting code with manual NC operations - Fusion 360

Hello Ideastation experts,

My name is Clay Spurlock. I am the lead programmer of the in-house machine shop of Diversified Machine Systems of Colorado Springs.

I have been using Mastercam daily for four years now, but have been encouraged to pick up Fusion 360 by our CTO, Patrick Bollar. We are working out a deal that will allow us to distribute Fusion 360 to all customers that buy a DMS machine.

I have also been encouraged to submit this idea to you by Paul Clauss.

All of my Mastercam files include detailed instructions on material sizes, loads, and some manual entries that include code.

I have run into some problems with the available post for three-axis Haas mills in Fusion 360. The ability to post out code as a manual entry would allow me to use your software in the production environment,without changing our system (which is working very well). I have tried to use Pass Through, but it didn't post out anything for that op. 

Paul suggested an acceptable work-around for this situation, which i will use for now. Posting code as comments and deleting the parentheses. I always prefer to maintain my part files in a way that they are 100% ready to run as posted.

Thank you for your time, and the ability to suggest improvements to your software. You will hear more from me :).

-Clay Spurlock

12 Comments

@Anonymous

This is an easy post processor change.

By default, this is not implemented to make sure people don't ruin their machine.

This is the function you would have to add to your post processor.

If you put a , in it will split the text to the next line.

function onPassThrough(text) {
  var commands = String(text).split(",");
  for (text in commands) {
    writeBlock(commands[text]);
  }
}
al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

al.whatmough
Alumni

@Laurens-3DTechDraw is correct.  I am happy to re-open the Idea if this doesn't work for you. 

DMS should be working with Bob to dial in a stock Fagor/DMS post.  Feel free to reach out to Bob for help making edits to your Haas post also.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow.

Thanks you so much!

Where do I put it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
What does this mean?

Is this now a part of the post?

If so, is there something I need to update?

-Clay
Anonymous
Not applicable
What does this mean?

Is this now a part of the post?

If so, is there something I need to update?

-Clay
Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies for not responding sooner.

My gmail acct was a mess. I didn't realize people were responding to this
acct.

I put the code in my post, but it didn't post the code.

I admit I have no idea what I'm doing.

What line # should I put it in?

Thanks,

-Clay
pilot940
Participant

Hello,

I have attempted this method but have been unsuccessful.   I am attempting to insert an M29 for my Bridgeport DX32 control so that I may rigid tap, M29 sequences the spindle and Z axis.

I have been successful in manually editing the code, but I am trying to run a larger job including the rigid tap and changing all the N numbers next to the code is tedious.

Is there a better way to do this?

Do I need to change all the N numbers?

Thanks,

Corey B

@pilot940

You are much better of changing the post processor so that it always output M29 so you can rigidtap.

In the DX-32 post processors there is a post property called useRigidTapping

Set that to true and it will output M29 for you.

pilot940
Participant

Thank you very much! I couldn't find the property and realized I was using the generic Bridgeport Post Processor.   I was able to download and install the DX32 and rigid tapping is now there and the code looks much better for my machine.

Thank you very much!

johnQ7A63
Community Visitor

The Manual NC pass through function works great, thank you!

I have 2 questions:

1) When you select the "Optional" radio button on the Manual NC operation can that be be reflected in the Post processor output code?

2) Is there a way to add a custom manual NC function to the drop down list?

burkeda
Explorer

Is this the only option for adding manual gcode in a cam setup?  Specifically, for the xcarve's easel post processor?  I'd really love to be able to point to an existing nc file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report