Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDM wire cutting

EDM wire cutting

Hi All

In the world of Wirecutting everything is very out of date, old school, over complex and booring!

It would be nice if we could get EDM wirecutting in HSM/Fusion360... I actually think they could get 'a lot' of customers or visibility out in the cam world if it was a smart and simple wirecut software, think how simple wirecutting is? why not implement! (I know there are specific challenges to this, it's not THAT easy, but still) if it was made smart and simple (which it can and should be) then they would blow the competition away...

EDM wirecut is needed to make HSM the full package 🙂 thanks for voting!

billede.png

41 Comments
shane_tully
Contributor

I Agree, I have been pushing for wire EDM support for many years and it appears that they have no interest in supporting it. I Love the workflow of HSMWorks everything is clean and efficient. I started looking for a new CAM package that supports Wire EDM, but find myself hating every aspect of other packages as their UI just flat out sucks. I have been using HSMworks for Simple 2.5 Axis wire Work but now that our parts are beginning to demand more complex work using the 4-5 axis (wire tilt) cuts would be nice to at least get some support for this even if it is a tool to at least generate the toolpaths and leave the cutting tech to the user to deal with. from what i have seen in order to do this its only some post processor work and a few mods to the UI as the swarf path appears to be able to somewhat handle handle the toolpaths. I have been using a modified post for our CHMER wire EDM for the simple 2D work if you would like the Post Processor let me know. I have been trying to figure out how to hack up a 5 axis post to work for our tilt but have had no luck yet. I'm sure if they do start to support we will see it in the fusion360 environment long before we see in the HSMWorks which is a shame. I even tried out Fusion360 so that i could have support for probing opperations but have found that there are some very big downfalls to modeling is fusion vs solidworks that makes it impossible for me to even make the switch so that i could have probing. Hopefully they put in more effort to make their current customers more excited to use their software and bring in more customers. Bringing in more customers equals more revenue which equals more resources to advance their product development!

al.whatmough
Alumni

Thank you for raising this one again.  

This does remain low on our priority list in full disclosure.

We will continue to watch this idea to determine if there is a wider desire from our community to support wire work flows.

ivan.stanojevic
Advisor

Last year we had a potential customer who was very interested in wire cutting solution in HSM.

HughesTooling
Consultant

The water jet feature is probably 75% the way there for 2d and even 2 1/2D and I've used it for the last year or so. It wouldn't take much work to get this working fully for 2 1/2 axis work, unfortunately the recent update has broken this workflow.Smiley Sad

tool6.png 

Mark

Coscor_NPL
Advocate

Thanks all for the posts.

@shane_tullyThanks for the possibility of me having the Chmer post, But i'm guessing it's for SLD HSM right? sadly I do not have this, I only have Fusion360, which i'm pretty contend with for my work. thanks anyway! but your are absolutely right in your text!

@ivan.stanojevic Yes me to, I'm selling a few wirecut machines and have a hard time recommending any really good and affordable software for the customer

@HughesTooling It really is a shame that they don't want to fucus a little on this, it would open up to all new possibilities of companies using the same software for everything, it's a shame that we are so close to having this by using the waterjet...

Anyways, I hope we could get more votes, I think this is one of the places where the software cannot see the benefit/revenue before they make the leap...

coreyparks
Advisor

We would love to get this added.  Currently looking to replace what we have for wire.  We own HSM already and the guys are liking that a lot.  It would be worth an upgrade for us to get 4 axis wire in the same software.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We need to solve this eventually.  However, for the immediate future, this remains lower on the priority list.

panscan
Enthusiast

Thank you for raising this one again.

This is somthing thats really needed. Simple 2d would be good to start with. As mentioned should not be that much work with modified cutting functioncode. Just some settings for start stop, threading. It  would be a great start!

I would be happy to beta test this.

panscan
Enthusiast

Talked to a couple of friends today and we all agree that WEDM should really lift fusion360 and do this little extra compared to the other cam/cad packages.

michele.guzzini
Participant

Yes please, wire EDM for HSM and Fusion360 would be awesome.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It'll be very-very useful for startups, no doubt.

@Coscor_NPL wrote:

Hi All

In the world of Wirecutting everything is very out of date, old school, over complex and booring!

It would be nice if we could get EDM wirecutting in HSM/Fusion360... I actually think they could get 'a lot' of customers or visibility out in the cam world if it was a smart and simple wirecut software, think how simple wirecutting is? why not implement! (I know there are specific challenges to this, it's not THAT easy, but still) if it was made smart and simple (which it can and should be) then they would blow the competition away...

billede.png

panscan
Enthusiast

@Coscor_NPL wrote:

Hi All

billede.png

YES! Totally agree!

Wire EDM cam wise are not as complex as milling. Its mostly only contour with or without wire compensation. Start pos and cut offs with tabcut. Thats a good start and very easy to implement since 90% already there.

nate.jonesVQWUB
Community Visitor

Agreed, adding WEDM into HSM works would be really nice. I've been happy with HSMworks for 4-5 axis milling and turning, I hope they add wire soon!

Coscor_NPL
Advocate

I'm glad to see that this gets more and more votes... I really hope it is something that could get implementet 🙂

panscan
Enthusiast

Its also a compability that have not changed and will not do over the coming years, its very straight forward contouring (even tho 4axis contouring). Once adding this feature it will not generate much work since it does not need frekvent updating like milling and tuning cycles do. Precision EDM shops are not using HSM just becouse of no support, I'm quite sure it will add alot of ppl adding edm wire support.

MisiuPL
Explorer

Hi all,

I'm still very new to Fusion360, but I recently found a problem when I searched for 4axis foam cutter in Fusion360, it isn't there.

this feature is very similar to what I need (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/4-axis-hot-wire-foam-cutter/idc-p/8649386) so I'm voting on it.

@al.whatmough any news about this feature? It is more than 2 years with status "feature consideration".

I'm sure not only I will be happy to have this build-in into Fusion360 Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouild be realy happy to see this implementet as well. It would be nice for styrofoam cutting on 4 axis. Currentlöy ther isnÄ't really an up to date option out ther on the market, our current system runs oin MS Dos...

khowlette
Explorer

There are a few options for 4 axis foam cutting I've made several videos on them.  The free options are JediCut and David the Swarfer winggcode https://github.com/swarfer/winggcode/blob/master/wing.pyw which are mainly aimed at RC guys like myself.  The only other solutions that are worth looking at come from DevCAD http://www.devcad.com/eng/default.asp

I have 2 of his programs but they are a bit pricey, my lastest 4 axis CNC foam cutter build soon to be released is less money than Dev Wing Foam and Dev Fus Foam.  They are good applications but I think because there's not much competition he can charge those prices.

If we could get something in Fusion  I'm sure it would be well received.  My lastest foam cutter has been designed in Fusion and I'm a big fan of it and 4 Axis Hot Wire Foam cutter would be the icing on the cake.

mjp.purdy
Enthusiast

Inventor CAM or Fusion 360 with wire toolpaths... would be a complete game changer for the entire industry. Problem is it requires detailed machine simulation, soooooo probably not until that happens firmly for both programs.  

hanifi.wbc
Community Visitor

Please Autodesk, as a user and a shareholder I’m asking please do something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report