Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid touching surface

Avoid touching surface

It would be nice if I can drag a box around the section to Avoid/Touch Surfaces in 3D instead of having to touch every segment
Charlie
8 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
and if I select a segment to avoid, I should be able to click on it again to undo the selection. Otherwise you have to start all over again, I had over 40 surfaces I had to do.
Steinwerks
Mentor

@Anonymous What software? I can select and unselect single surfaces in HSMWorks and I'm pretty sure Fusion as well. Or are you talking about boundaries?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Talking about inventor HSM. And Avoid / touching surfaces
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Charlie,  have you already tried the checkbox to invert the checked surfaces to "touch surfaces"   I use Inventor also and this is a common thing for me to do.  

now if you have 80 surfaces on a part and need to for some reason avoid half of them this doesn't help, you'll be picking surfaces unless you can confine with heights or even a sketched boundary. 

When you are picking surfaces and you grab one you did not intend to, I have found it is best to click ok on the operation, let it calculate, then go back in and you can de-select the surface.  I have had trouble with this before, but I just checked and in inventor 16 SP2 I can de-select any surfaces.

Hey you are holding Ctrl+click to deselect right?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why is the Avoid/Touch Surfaces not in the Adaptive Clearing operation? It should be in nearly every operation!

@Anonymous

It is in all 3D Finishing strategy.

In roughing it's impossible(Much much harder) to implement. Because how should it behave?

How far should it stay away from the wall? How should it move around it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Adaptive Clearing, I was telling the tool and holder to stay away, say, 0.3 inches, but the tool is still hitting my indexing holder! Why is this happening? Maybe I should send you my assembly and see if you can help. Autodesk Support isn't really that helpful sometimes.
al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Fusion is looking at supporting "list selections" like in SolidWorks.  First samples of this can be seen in the loft command.  The CAM team will look to leverage these as soon as they are complete.

An alternate solution may be to use "touch check surfaces"  this inverts the selection process such that you pick the surface you want to machine and everything else becomes a check surface.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report