Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to extrude blue sketch

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
davidK82P7
259 Views, 5 Replies

Unable to extrude blue sketch

I am making a microSD card holder for myself in Fusion 360.

I downloaded an STL model of a microSD card, imported it into F360 as a mesh object, scaled it appropriately, and converted it to a solid. Then, I projected the solid onto a new sketch plane, without the "linking" option.

There were a couple missing lines around the projected sketch, but I added lines to close it off. When I double click on any line in the sketch, the entire outline is selected, so it does infact appear to be a closed sketch. Example:

davidK82P7_0-1647307348656.png

I've read in other forum posts that the shape needs to be fully constrained - but how can I do that with such a complex shape? When I select the entire outline, it is a total of 148 objects - primarily because the round corners are not actually arcs - they are a bunch of small straight lines.

This is the model I downloaded and imported as a mesh:

https://grabcad.com/library/micro-sd-card

I've attached my F360 file in case anyone would like to take a look at it. But, all I'm really trying to do is project the outline of the microSD card model onto a plane, then extrude the outline of the card via the "cut" mechanism so I can create a microSD card shaped hole in the surface. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks!

David

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: davidK82P7

The only reason the sketch in blue is because you have auto project on, personally I'd turn it off as it adds a lot of clutter to sketches.

As you can see with the other sketch hidden you get the outline of the face you've sketched on. As for your problem, the white dot is a giveaway for the problem, try dragging the point.

HughesTooling_0-1647353591686.png

HughesTooling_1-1647353671518.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jeff_strater

Sketches do not have to be fully constrained to have valid profiles.

The problem is in the lower left corner:

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.12.30 AM.png

there are 5 sketch point stacked up here:

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.14.16 AM.png

I deleted some of the small arcs to the bottom of this point and re-created them, and the result is OK

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.17.24 AM.png

Also, don't pattern sketches.  You are much better off extruding and then patterning.  As it is now, this sketch takes a very long time to solve

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling

@davidK82P7 wrote:

I downloaded an STL model of a microSD card, imported it into F360 as a mesh object, scaled it appropriately, and converted it to a solid. Then, I projected the solid onto a new sketch plane, without the "linking" option.

I've read in other forum posts that the shape needs to be fully constrained - but how can I do that with such a complex shape? When I select the entire outline, it is a total of 148 objects - primarily because the round corners are not actually arcs - they are a bunch of small straight lines.

Thanks!

David

To answer the question about constraining, don't waste time with STL conversions. Just scale it to the correct size then create the sketch yourself by tracing over the mesh.  You could try creating mesh sections but doubt you'll save any time.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
davidK82P7
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thank you!! I don't know how I didn't see the white dot, but that did it!
Message 6 of 6
davidK82P7
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thank you! Great point about extruding first, then patterning. For this case though, I needed the sketches on the plane so I could get the length of the overall design just right. But, I will absolutely extrude first, then pattern the extrusion. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report