Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread Standards Seemed to Have Disappeared in Fusion 360

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
exerpdautodesk
514 Views, 4 Replies

Thread Standards Seemed to Have Disappeared in Fusion 360

Overview:

Working a project that requires a couple of 28 TPI non-standard size diameters.  Followed the thread below on how to add custom thread sizes-

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Custom-Threads-in-...

My system is Windows 10 64 bit.  I followed the instruction & it worked fine up to a point-

1) Typed %localappdata% into the start button.

2) Opened "%localappdata%" file folder in file explorer.

3) Followed to described path to: C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\df098dc22bdb0532c3884db0a2d6182c8f8678de\Fusion\Server\Fusion\Configuration\ThreadData

4) All thread files were there.

5) Copied the file I wanted to change/add to desktop to modify.

6) Made the modifications, renaming the file by adding the word custom to it.

7) Unminimized file explorer & added my custom file to the various other thread files in the ThreadData folder.

Problem:

😎 Opened Fusion 360 and received an error "the current thread family has no suitable type".  No threading size chart was available in the program.

9) I again opened file explorer window and remove the file I had added.  Reopened Fusion 360, and the normal threading charts were working again.

10) When I attempted to open file explorer again, the files were no longer there!  The lowest fold visible was:

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\df098dc22bdb0532c3884db0a2d6182c8f8678de\Fusion\Server\Fusion\

11) The "\Configuration\ThreadData" folders are no longer visible. Consequently, none of the threading files were visible.

12) I rebooted, rechecked that permissions were set correctly, browsed again the correct path.  No luck.

13) Ok, I thought I will just add my specific additional thread size to the existing thread file that is live.

14) Again, searched file explorer, which found the file.  Opened the file.  Added the new lines I created to that file & saved.

15) Opened Fusion 360.  The threading charts are available and working fine, but…….. my additions are not there in the dropdown…..

Questions:

1. A) So, what am I doing wrong that I can no longer see those folders & files?
  2. B) Why is the program not seeing or using my addition to the threading file?

FYI,

I am familiar with coding.  Not a professional, but do some on occasion.  Used Microsoft Expression Web to do the coding, so I believe that the changes were correct?????

I will say that I do not fully understand this statement from the above original thread that says:

Notes:

If this design file is used in Fusion 360 when there is no access to the customized XML file, the following error message may appear:

"...the current thread family has no suitable type..."

When modifying a standard thread type, the design file will be modified back to the standard settings if the feature is recomputed on a machine without access to the customized thread XML file.

When using this procedure to create a custom thread in Fusion 360, the XML specific formatting is very important. XML typos or syntax errors can cause problems in which standard threads are removed from Fusion, and preventing the custom thread from being used in the program. Using an XML Parser such as this one can help to confirm that the syntax is correct.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

A couple of guesses. First Fusion updated and when it does this it moves the thread folder and leaves behind any custom files.

With your first attempt where you ended up with no thread charts I'd guess you had an error in the file somewhere. I've done that a couple of times.

Check out the thread keeper add in, to manage keeping your custom thread files in the correct folder after updates.

Nark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5

This custom thread utility might help as well.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

SOLVED!!  Thanks Mark for the input.   Helped a lot!

1st: Do not know what the issue was with my PC.  Still cannot "see" those folders in File Explorer when I look down through the hierarchy, but I am able to past the complete path into File Explorer and it opens.  Every time.

2nd: Updated threading file works!  Do not know what the problem was, but when I deleted & re-added it works.

Thanks all!

Message 5 of 5

Please do not forget to mark @HughesTooling post "Accept Solution"

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report