Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL Plane insertion issues

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jamesRANBX
1311 Views, 11 Replies

STL Plane insertion issues

Hi all,

I've got a very large STL file, the underside of a car I've scanned. I need to project a plane onto a face.
I've moved & rotated the STL until it was aligned with the origin.

I've created some basic planes.
I've then gone to edit mesh, then create plane from 3 points. 

I click 3 points, and a plane pops up in some random place away from the part and at the wrong angle.

However...

If I open a new design, drop in the STL and don't move or rotate it at all, then go edit mesh > 3 point plane etc, it creates a plane just fine on the selected points.

Basically, it seems that when you move the STL, for some obscure reason the plane creation uses it's original location, not where those points are now.

I have also tried creating the planes first, then rotating etc the model into location, but the planes don't move with it.

I can't convert to Brep, as the file is huge and complex. I have tried using mesh section, but attempting to align that with a flange on the underside of a car is a nightmare and I need to be accurate!

It seems to me that it's a bug that needs sorting, any suggestions? 

Cheers, James

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dsouzasujay
in reply to: jamesRANBX

Hi @jamesRANBX,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I have created a defect to track this internally ref: FUS-40625.

We will track this issue and will address it as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience.
In the meantime you can use workaround to create Plane Through Three Points on a Mesh Body by below video.

If you find my answer solved your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button

Sujay D'souza
SQA Manager
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 12
jamesRANBX
in reply to: dsouzasujay

It's a workaround, but it does the job just nicely for me!

Cheers!

Message 4 of 12
janisk1

Dear James,

This issue is still existing and would like to know if there could be any fix for it.

I do reverse engineering from 3D scans daily and encountering this issue all the time.

It would be great to get it fixed if thats possible.

Thank You.

Message 5 of 12
janisk1

Hi Fusion 360 team.

I do consider this is a MAJOR issue as its still existant. Its just a bug. Cant You really solve it?

STL plane through 3 points work only until you move the stl mesh. Then it creates plane at random place.

PLEASE SOLVE IT. ITS A REAL BUG.

Message 6 of 12
cell.jason
in reply to: janisk1

I deal with a lot of scans and this has CONSTANTLY been an issue. It doesn't create the plane at a random location, however, as it references the original import location, and wherever you move the mesh to seems to be irrelevent. There's only a few ways I've been able to workaround this, but saving the mesh in the location, deleting, and reimporting seems to be the most versatile, even though it seems pointless.

What's the point in moving a mesh when importing if the new position can't be referenced, or captured in the insert dialog? The other way I deal with this is to create a base feature and import the mesh sans-history.

Is there any update on when this can be solved? Although the workaround posted as the Solution is useful, I'd like to save all these extra steps, especially when the files are often very large and Fusion crashes very often during this process.

Message 7 of 12
janisk1

This issue is still existant for almost 3 years and its a major bug that affects almost everyone who uses 3d scan mesh import to do reverse engineering.

Can You please fix it???

Message 8 of 12
janisk1
in reply to: cell.jason

Yes issue is for more than 3 years. Either support team passed it by or dont care. Probably first one.

Message 9 of 12
cell.jason

Well, they've marked it as solved because they provided an answer saying there's a bug. He posted a bug #FUS-40625 but afaik we have no way to track that aside from release notes.

Message 10 of 12
janisk1

Is it possible for someone from Fusion team to finally address this issue. Its so annoying to come here multiple times and report a vital bug in the Fusion and nobody cares for it...

Message 11 of 12
jeff_strater

this bug is in our list to fix.  I cannot say for certain when it will be fixed.  We have a set of criteria that is used to determine the order in which bugs are addressed.  Length of time since original report is not one of them.  Number of affected workflows, and critical nature of the bug (is data lost, crash, etc) is much more important in this process.  So, while I understand that this bug is "vital" to you, until it is vital to a large number of customers, there are lots of critical bugs that need to get addressed.  I understand that this is disappointing, but I think it's unfair for us to promise things that may not get addressed in the near future.  We have a finite team, and there is only so much we can do at any one time.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 12 of 12
janisk1
in reply to: jeff_strater

This all is logical but it is not something i agree in this particular case. Such issue will be encountered on everyone who uses mesh and creates a plane. And its being done as absolute primary tool for reverse engineering since its the best and fastest way to create a plane on which to reference a sketch/solid.

Such feature/workflow surely is used mostly by pros who will not complain, so you cant estimate affected workflows.

Everyone in our 3d Scanning and CAD community here who use Fusion is fussy about this issue and it creates significant workflow issues for them and me. In this particular case- i am sure it affects way more people who dont have time to go on forum and complain about it.

I would ask to at least move it up in priority list.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report