Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No file dialogs visible.

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
HughesTooling
4324 Views, 28 Replies

No file dialogs visible.

@Phil.E 

This has come up several times. Sometimes the problem is the dialog is off screen so Alt+Space then M then an arrow key will make it jump to the mouse pointer but not this time! If the dialog was just hidden you would not be able to click on a button and have the command run, try this start insert DXF pick a plane and you'll get the open file dialog, now try clicking a button on the main toolbar and all that happens is the open dialog border flashes. If I do the same on my PC after picking the plane no dialog appears and I can just click any button and it runs so there can't be a dialog running.

I can't make a screencast as it doesn't work on my Windows 7 PC. Dialogs were working a week ago or so, maybe one of the recent updates caused this.

I've tried open, insert DXF, insert Mesh etc. and I'm not getting any of the windows file dialogs, I was able to get a dialog from the CAM workspace while posting a program but when I tried to use Open from the file dialog Fusion ended up in an unstable state and crashed.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29

In one of your options files (%APPDATA%\Autodesk\Neutron Platform\Options\NMachineSpecificOptions.xml) there will be a setting called 'LastDirectoryOptionId', and it might be pointing to a location that is no longer valid. If you delete the line that includes this setting and save the file, it may resolve your issue. (Note : Will need to restart Fusion after saving this options file)

Message 22 of 29

Thanks, the issue appears to be related to a thumb drive I was using to transfer DXF files to a CNC workstation and when the thumb drive was not inserted in my machine I was unable to open any dialog boxes in Fusion.  Inserting the thumb drive and restarting Fusion solved the problem.  Going forward I am not going to save directly from Fusion to the thumb drive, I will save to the local drive and copy to the thumb drive instead.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: matt.pooley

I just had the same problem in Aug. 2021

your solution helped:

last I saved a file to a NAS (network attached storage) and after I mounted it again fusion worked normal again.

I also reinstalled Fustion and restarted my PC several times before that which did not help.

on Win10

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous

I may be bringing up an old thread, but maybe this helps others. This fixed my problem after hours of internet searching, uninstall/reinstalls, and other "fixes". Thank you.
Message 25 of 29
jdogwiden5
in reply to: HughesTooling

Was also having this problem, exported a file to a drive path that doesn't exist anymore and the dialogue wouldn't display and I could no longer right-click to export as mesh again. Upon closing the file and reopening Fusion would crash. The fix @matt.pooley recommended worked. After deleting the line "LastDirectoryOptionID" and restarting Fusion it's working fine now. Kinda ridiculous this problem has been going on for years...

Path: %APPDATA%\Autodesk\Neutron Platform\Options\NMachineSpecificOptions.xml
Specfic line: <LastDirectoryOptionId UserName="LastDirectoryOptionId" Value=""/>

Message 26 of 29
infoLMLR6

This is still not fixed. I reinstalled my server en after that I cannot open file from my comuter

Message 27 of 29
matt.pooley
in reply to: infoLMLR6

Hi @infoLMLR6 ,

Is the workaround mentioned in this thread able to get your open dialogs working again ? If not, I can work with you to find a solution that gets you up and running.

If it does work, then the next area I'd like to understand is exactly what changed in your environment, what we've found with this problem is that each type of 'directory unavailable' scenario requires specific work and error handling, and ideally we'd be able to reproduce the situation you ended up in so we can investigate behaviors and solve. 

Some examples of scenarios that we've previously heard about

- Removal of USB drive
 - Samba / NFS Share errors

- Folder deletion

Regards,

Matt

Message 28 of 29
zaucetech
in reply to: ryan.bales

Chiming in here to confirm this was my issue - a password-protected network drive was my default save location, but I had disconnected it previously so it couldn't access it. Reconnecting solved the problem.

Message 29 of 29

I had the same issue in that the LastDirectoryOptionId was a network share which had a different username/password than the currently logged in user. When trying to insert a DXF, I would click on the folder and it would act like nothing happened.

The fix was to access the share first from Windows Explorer to force a network login. Once the share was accessible from Windows Explorer, Fusion had no problem after that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report