Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Bend Extent Lines in workflow.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
MSparx
187 Views, 3 Replies

Help With Bend Extent Lines in workflow.

Hi , Hope someone can assist with leading me in the right direction on this. 

We are using Fusion360 to design sheet metal parts and also Sheet rubber parts. 

First issue is the sheet metal parts with the flat pattern have Bend and Bend Extent lines. We have to remove the extent lines and also shorten the Bend lines to force the Laser cutter to not cut these. Instead we create a shape on the edge where the bend should go we do this on a secondary CAD package and its time consuming and expensive keeping 2 Cad packages going. 

Second issue is if we design the same part in flexible rubber sheet, , we again need a 2nd package to remove the bend extent lines, ( our plotter cutter draws a line with a white pen so we know where the bend is ) 

We need to make this workflow more economical - any ideas welcomed. 

Caveat is I am not a CAD designer , or engineer , just an IT guy who has to support these packages . 

Many thanks 

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jhackney1972
in reply to: MSparx

Fusion 360 can eliminate the Extent Lines automatically in both the Model Space Flat Pattern or the 2D Drawing depending on how far you take the design.  You did not mention this in your post.  In the Screencast I demonstrate in both environments.  As far as the Bend Lines, Fusion 360 can either remove them entirely, using the same method as the bend lines but it cannot foreshorten them automatically.  You normally can tell the Laser cutter to ignore the bend lines since they are a different type of line.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 4
MSparx

Thanks John , Your first option to remove them in the flat pattern view works on screen , but as soon as you export that to DXF they are still in the design it seems?   I am exploring using the export to DXF from the drawing stage as that seems to work.  Waiting on some feedback from the staff . Thanks

Message 4 of 4
jhackney1972

In the Export to DXF from the Model Space, I agree all the lines are created in the DXF.  As an IT person, you will not realize that different lines, Bend Lines, Bend Extent Lines, etc are placed on different layers and can be turned off as needed.  This can be done in the Laser controller I am sure, if not, use use a free viewer to turn them off. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report