Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported component different from original component with large sub assembly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
j.hancock01
617 Views, 6 Replies

Imported component different from original component with large sub assembly

Hello,

I'm trying to create a general assembly model from two (already rather large) sub components. Unfortunately, when I use "Insert into current design" one of my sub components it looks different when I import this into a new general assembly model (even if this is just a blank model) to if I simply open the component. It looks like one or more of the joints within the sub component (this is also made of multiple subassemblies) is not active when the component is imported so that parts of this component are out-of-place. Unfortunately, it's a confidential project and I can't share screenshots of the model in a public forum and this only happens with this specific component/sub assembly; I've built up assemblies using similar methods many times before and not seen anything like this before.

The component I'm inserting already consists of many nested, linked and joined sub components. Is there a limit on the number of sub components that can be nested within each other? or does using a large number of levels of linked models within models cause issues with the joints? I've built this large model using lots of smaller linked sub components as it takes ages to open and work on the large "full" assembly - this way I can create smaller easy to work with assemblies and only need to experience the pain of everything slowing to a near halt (which could be from a RAM limit issue on my PC, e.g. if things really slow down when model size exceeds the available RAM so Fusion needs to continuously save and work from the harddrive) when I create the final assembly model.

Any help or tips much appreciated.

Best wishes

Jon

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
karina.harper
in reply to: j.hancock01

Hi @j.hancock01 

It's hard to say without seeing the model, but if you are seeing missing components you'll want to look at this stickied post.

If not, then if you can share your file privately or some screenshots that would be great!

Cheers,

Karina

Karina Harper

Software QA Engineer, Fusion 360

Fusion 360 Webinars | Contact Support | EDU Support | Support Board Best Practices

Message 3 of 7
j.hancock01
in reply to: karina.harper

Hi Karina,

Thank you for the message. Yes, I've seen error messages with text like "Error: Unresolved components" as described in the post you link in the reply so this sounds like it's part of the problem. I'm a bit worried as I've already saved and promoted previous versions of the design to try to resolve the issue (I even re-installed fusion as I thought this might be a problem with a Cached version of the model).

I'll send you some screen shots in a personal message and can also invite you to the project if you send me your email address so you have more information on the issue. Any help you can give would be great.

Many thanks

Jon

Message 4 of 7
karina.harper

Hi Jon,

Thanks for sending those over. We just had a hotfix released last night that should have fixed this unresolved components issue - can you try promoting the version that was working last?

As for the joints issue - see if this update resolved it. If not, feel free to share the file with me as a public link via PM.

Thanks,

Karina

Karina Harper

Software QA Engineer, Fusion 360

Fusion 360 Webinars | Contact Support | EDU Support | Support Board Best Practices

Message 5 of 7
j.hancock01
in reply to: karina.harper

Hi Karina,

Thank you for the post. Unfortunately, the issue is still present after I updated Fusion to the latest version and roll back models to those I was using in January. I've sent you a personal message with further details.

Any assistance you can provide fixing this would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Jon

Message 6 of 7
j.hancock01

I thought I'd post the methods I used to overcome this issue, with much great help from Karina Harper from Autodesk, many thanks Karina!

1) Update Fusion 360 to overcome this issue:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/fixed-error-unresolved-components-in-assembly-afte...

2) Some of my models had become corrupted so I needed to "refresh" them, I did this by:

2a) "share public link" of the model - see how to share a file, then use this web link to download a "Fusion 360 archive" file (see top right hand corner of the web browser when you open the share file link).

2b) Create a blank folder in Fusion 360 and upload the archive file to this folder.

This re-builds a "refreshed" whole model including sub assemblies, joints etc in the new folder. I did this with the top level assembly and everything else was automatically pulled into the archive file and re-built. This seems to have overcome the "Unresolved component" issue, note that just updating Fusion 360 was not enough to stop these errors in my case.

3) I still had issues with some of the joints even on the refreshed model. I think there's a bug in Fusion 360 so the program "forgets" to apply some joint constraints on some seemingly random occasions (although I've seen it most with large assemblies and fortunately it seems to be fairly rare). This was the main error on the original post. I've worked round this by doing things to "remind" fusion 360 about the joints, this can be just to "animate" the joint constraint (ideally the one that isn't working), suppress and then suppress joints, move a part and then "revert" back (rather than capturing position in the top right hand corner option), add a new as-built joint but cancelling this before actually making the joint (fusion seems to check joints when the add new joint dialog box is first opened). In some extreme cases I went back to the model file with the difficult joint, deleted it and then made a new joint; note that on many cases the joint looks fine in the original sub assembly it is only when the sub assembly is used in a higher level model that the joint gets "forgotten".

That's my view of the issue, I hope that is of help to others with these kind of errors. Great if our friends at Autodesk can look into and fix the "random joint not working" issue. I've a model saved where this can be seen clearly (Karina also has a link to this) I'll gladly send this to anyone at Autodesk working on this (it's a confidential model for a client so unfortunately I can share more widely), in the meantime I hope the above workarounds might be useful if others find this issue.

Best wishes & happy modelling,

Jon

Message 7 of 7
BKerr93

@j.hancock01 ran into this problem myself and your comment above, especially step 2, worked a treat. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report