Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors in Body when converting Mesh to BRep.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rtorc001
248 Views, 5 Replies

Errors in Body when converting Mesh to BRep.

As title says, i am trying to import an STL as a mesh and convert it to a body in order to edit it.

When i import the mesh, all looks well. However, when converting from mesh to BRep, there is one corner in the model that does not seem to convert correctly, it has some faces where there shouldnt be and i cannot figure out how to edit, i keep getting an error when i try to create a  sketch to "cut" the excess portions off or delete faces.

Should i be doing this with blender, then import the body into Fusion to perform my changes?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
g-andresen
in reply to: rtorc001

Hi,

Please share the stl file and say what you want to achieve.

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach it to the next post.

günther

Message 3 of 6
rtorc001
in reply to: g-andresen

Hello, here is the file you requested.

A little more info on what i am trying to do. This is an STL file and i want to import it and modify the object. i want to eliminate some features, add some holes in some places. There are some tabs designed onto the part that need to be removed and things like that.

The initial problem i am having is that when i import the STL as mesh and convert to Brep to get an object, there is an error/flaw introduced into the part. The rest seems to have come out well but there is this one corner that has some extra material where there should not be. Its pretty clear when comparing the original mesh to the resulting object.

The second problem i have is just simply how hard it is to edit a file that has been imported as an STL, since it is made up of a large number of flat faces, it makes it difficult to add features due to errors given by  fusion when trying to extrude or cut etc. Is there a better way to import or manipulate the mesh in order to make it easier to work with the object when it comes to adding to it? 

Even if i try to work on it as it is, i find it hard to start sketches on the faces and do things to it.

Message 4 of 6
rtorc001
in reply to: g-andresen

This is another example, trying to resize this tab but when pressing OK i get an error message.

rtorc001_0-1637259326150.png

rtorc001_1-1637259346833.png

Message 5 of 6
g-andresen

Hi,

try BOUNDARY FILL

Screencast

günther

Message 6 of 6
TheCADWhisperer

@rtorc001 wrote:

...edit a file that has been imported as an STL...

Is there a better way...

...i find it hard to start sketches on the faces and do things to it.

As you have found - stl tends to be rubbish.  

You might be able to get it to recognize some primitives (in paid license), but in general - I would only use as reference in creating proper geometry from scratch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report