Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Paste Bodies - can't resolve warning

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
juliangall
4832 Views, 29 Replies

Copy Paste Bodies - can't resolve warning

I have a warning in my timeline on a Copy Paste Bodies command. Highlighted yellow as below:

Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 10.10.33.png

The actual warning says "1 Reference Failures. The model is using cached geometry to solve. Please reselect reference geometry for failed features in the timeline."

However, when I right-click the timeline icon, there is no option to Edit Feature. How do I reselect the reference geometry?

Thanks,

Julian

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30

(1) QUICK TIP: Redefine Sketch Plane - YouTube - redefining the sketch may fix this issue. 

Message 22 of 30
indrekKM3GD
in reply to: jeff_strater

This has happened multiple times to me now. How do I fix this? This is taking days out of my life. Instead of doing something useful I'm forced to deal with this garbage by redoing and rechecking everything again and again and again. This is crazy. "There are no plans to fix this" is not a solution. At least place change the warning to "There is no way to fix this. Never use copy on a body in your timeline."

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 19.59.29.png

Message 23 of 30
karlNCC8J
in reply to: jeff_strater

As you can see from this thread this isn't a one off issue. I've had to spend many many hours "fixing" my timeline because Fusion allows copy/paste of bodies but then doesn't allow the fix required when the original body changes as described by others in this thread. 

@jeff_strater 3 years later, is there an update?

Message 24 of 30

this happens all the time to me, particularly annoying that it asks you to RESELECT the bodies whilst providing no option to actually do that. this isn't any different to the lack of sketch block functionality they still refuse to add. Useful workflow that they refuse to implement for reasons unknown. fusion is incredibly well geared towards the boolean integration of parts to create new parts, which with the growing demand of 3D printing makes it an ideal choice...until you come across these bizarre decision to neglect these improvements to work flow that completely scuttle the primary purpose of the function.  this problem is only going to increase in its exposure due to the increase desire of tessellating parts/patterns of parts within the demands of 3D printing.  the weird part is we know there is a stored version of the "non-broken" reference, so I don't see any reason why it couldn't be attributed to a different selection with the option to revert between cached vs up-to-date geometry. 

Message 25 of 30
bentwookie
in reply to: juliangall

Blerg. Nailed by this as well just now. I didn't even copy and paste, but instead I'd forgotten to activate the right component and so I tried to drag a body to the right one to fix the problem once I noticed it (much later). All looked well until I adjusted a parameter (again much later) and the whole thing irretrievably blew up. They should disable copy/paste (and I guess body rehosting) for as many rough edges as there seem to be. 

That the warning prompt says you can fix it is an extra punch in the gut right now 🙂

Message 26 of 30
martinYFAFK

@jeff_strater 

I'll be retiring in ~29 years, any chance you'll have this fixed by then ? Just asking.

Message 27 of 30
citizenkoen

I'm running into the same problem.

In my case I moved a couple of bodies between two components very early in my history. When I later changed the value of a parameter I ended up with extrusion errors for the two bodies. Somehow, one of the profiles disappeared from the sketch that I used to perform the extrusion. I tracked the problem down to two lines somehow no longer meeting at a corner despite having coincident constraints against the same projected point... That seems to be a bug in and of itself. As soon as I fixed the sketch, Fusion 360 created 2 extra bodies and the copy paste feature lost references to the original two bodies. And now I'm stuck trying to pick up the pieces. I'm 2 hours in and counting...

I see three components to this issue:
1. Clearly there is some underlying bug(s) causing the references to be lost in the first place.
2. The UI misdirects the user by leading them to believe there is a way to fix the issue
3. No mechanism is exposed to allow the user to directly fix the issue

Even if the problem occurs infrequently, which somehow I doubt, it is high impact and stops the user in their tracks when it is encountered. As such, "won't fix" doesn't seem like the right response here.

Message 28 of 30
richard_john3

I just ran into this issue (again). Thought I would just reselect the reference geometry ..... looks like I should just delete and start again from scratch. So, as I understand it, I can not copy and paste a body, ever? It will always blow up like this?

Message 29 of 30

yep, I have just learned to use and love boundary fill for things where I
would need to copy a body, never use copy unless you are looking to make a
non state changing clone of your model.
Message 30 of 30
jasper_barnett

Just ran into this problem & it's gonna cost me multiple hours of work to fix. As others have said, it really shouldn't be that hard to implement an edit feature that allows you to select the body that you're copying. I'm really starting to get fed up with Fusion just not fixing bugs that have been known about for YEARS. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report