Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converted Mesh - can't extrude from sketch "No target body found"?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
buckeyestargazer
424 Views, 10 Replies

Converted Mesh - can't extrude from sketch "No target body found"?

As I have done many times, I inserted a mesh (.stl) and then "convert mesh" to make it into a body.  At that point usually I can treat it as a regular body and make edits to it. 

I'm trying to remix a .stl and after converting the mesh I can make edits directly to the body (ex. chamfer and edge), but when I try to make a drawing on the body and then extrude (cut) into the body I get the error message "No target body found".  Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

without the model, it is a bit hard to tell, but the symptoms you describe (can chamfer, but not solid extrude cut), it sounds like you have a surface body, not a solid body.  If the mesh is not closed, it will convert to a surface body, not a solid.  Share the model, and it will be easy to tell.  Or, look at the browser.  Is it an orange icon, or a white icon?

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 6.28.48 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 11

Attached is an image of the browser.  There are two bodies (top and base plane 1).  Both are white and closed bodies.  Interestingly, I can extrude through the "top" body but not through the "base plane 1" body. 

Message 4 of 11

We need the design in .f3d format, not just images!

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

@buckeyestargazer 

Instead of -3 mm, what if you set to Through All Symmetric?

If Through All doesn’t work, what if you set to a large distance, say 1 m (that is meter, not mm).

Message 6 of 11

@TrippyLighting here you go.

Message 7 of 11

@TheCADWhisperer 

The part I'm trying to extrude a hole through is 3.8mm thick.  If I extrude 3.8mm I get the "no target body found" message.  However, if I extrude anything over that (3.9mm) it cuts properly and goes through.

The problem is there are some other features I want to cut out of the body that don't go all the way through, which I won't be able to do until I figure this out.

Message 8 of 11

I know I attached the .f3z file before, but I don't see it so here it is again.

Message 9 of 11

There is something inconsistent with the Base Plane body.  If you do a Boundary Fill on that body, you will get two entities.  If you chose both of them and create a new body, then use it to Extrude your sketch into, it works fine.

Model is attached as an F3Z file.  I could not separate out the case as an F3D file.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11

Thank you so much.  

Dumb question, how do I export or save as .f3d?  The only options I see are .f3z.

Message 11 of 11

If you can Break Link on the External File(s) you can export as an F3D file.  I could not seem to get this task to completely work so I was not able to create an F3D file.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report