Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with tabs for a spline?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dghylin
273 Views, 7 Replies

Trouble with tabs for a spline?

Seems a spline curve will not allow me to set tabs.  Is this not allowed or another bug?   What am I missing here?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dghylin

Tabs only work on 2D geometry, if you are trying it on 3D curve, you have to model tabs instead.

2021-05-15 10_58_59-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 3 of 8
johnswetz1982

I dont believe tabs will work with splines. Not a bug, just not a supported feature.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I think tabs are restricted to 2D geometry.

2021-05-15 12_02_21-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 5 of 8
MattWynn

Without your geometry I can not say exactly.  But I can say some general things about 2d contour and 2d profile tabs:

• Tabs by distance work by distance along each segment, not along the whole contour.  So if you have only small segments (shorter than the tab distance) on your contour you will not get any tabs.
  • You should be able to place manual tabs anywhere, except splines and conics where they only work on endpoints.
  • Tabs by distance does work on splines and conics.
  • Tabs on a conic segment can have problem with their orientation and spacing.  If there is only one tab by distance on the conic segment, it should be placed in the 'middle' and it should be perpendicular to the edge at that point.  'Middle' of a conic is often not equal distance from the end points.  Tabs not in the middle of the conic may not be properly perpendicular.

Improving tabs is one of my goals.

Matt Wynn
Senior Manager, Software Development, Fusion Fabrication
Message 6 of 8
dghylin
in reply to: MattWynn

Thanks all for the comments. Matt touched on the spline subject and
with a little bit of brain work I believe I found a work around that does
the trick.

Don

Message 7 of 8
JeffreyArney

Please share work around.

Message 8 of 8
MattWynn

see Solved:Tab Positioning At Points cannot select points on spline edge of part for workaround

Matt Wynn
Senior Manager, Software Development, Fusion Fabrication

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report