Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surfacing to floor problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
nocturnalwelding
116 Views, 2 Replies

surfacing to floor problem

Hey, everyone 

Making some templates and I ran into this problem. I'm trying to surface to the bottom of the slope but can't make it to the bottom

surfacing test screenshot.png

. I'm sure some kind of fillet might have to be made idk. Looking forward to seeing how this can be done. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi

You cannot use a Ballnose to get right to the bottom of the slope, its Physically impossible as it has a sharp corner

With a very small Ballnose or a Bullnose tool with a small radius you can get closer and closer but there will always be material left there.

If you model a fillet equal or larger than the corner radius of the tool you are using then it will work.

If you truly want a sharp corner there you can surface the slope with a Square endmill, but this will require very small step-downs and will still leave a poor surface finish

Another option is to use a tapered endmill, but seeing as its an odd angle you wont find an off the shelf cutter to do this

Or you can machine the slope with a 5 axis machine and use the Swarf toolpath.

Message 3 of 3

I'll try a bull nose tomorrow and or the smallest fillet I can get away with.  Really good info and totally appreciate it.😁

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report