Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious backwards step with Arrange / Manufacturing Models.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
HarrisonClassic
202 Views, 2 Replies

Serious backwards step with Arrange / Manufacturing Models.

From someone that used Arrange extensively in the Manufacturing Model the last updates have seriously rendered this function almost useless.

First, when selecting multiple components to go onto a sketch profile with preview enabled, the comp[onents appear arranged on the sketch but do not remove themselves one by one form the model which makes selecting components behind ones already selected difficult.

Second, I cannot fathom how usability testing approved the notion of creating Arranges in the browser that are essentially derived, duplicative components. Why on earth is this useful?

Prior to the updates, when you did an arrange, they removed from the model and appeared in the new location, but still part of the model. Now I end up with two "copies" of the same component and I now need to manage so much more.

In the example below my parts spread across the plywood sheets are the combination of arranges and manual moves where arrange doesn't do a good job of arranging!  I now no longer can see whether I've catered for all the parts in the model onto the sheets, no way to find out if I've made a mistake without going through each one individually.

Also, the algorithm for arrange doesn't always do a good job with my kind of shaped parts, so I thin have to do moves afterwards so keeping the "arrange" as indicated in the browser is of no use at all.

Also, below, it would seem I have inadvertently had an incorrect parent component selected, so when exiting the Manufacturing Model edit, I now have Arranges spread across multiple parts of the browser tree!

So, to be clear the visibility of parts as laid out on the sheets is my manual maintenance of what's visible / not visible in the model, and what's visible in the arranges - but there is no connection between them.

David_HCB_1-1688984106082.png

Also, you can't drag components out of the arrange in the Browser to attempt to organise things better, they are locked.

David_HCB_0-1688983836221.png

This is only 1/3 of the parts in my model ( the parts that go on 15mm ply sheets ), I have to do 12mm and 4mm etc and I will have the same dramas.

What am I missing here @jeff.pek @jeff_strater @seth.madore ?

David

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Win 10 / I7-11700K @ 4.9GHz / 64Gb RAM / SSD's
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

This is good feedback to share, thank you!
The good news is that you can revert to the "old" method by toggling the Preference flag:

2023-07-10_06h28_34.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3

Hi Seth,

I did turn that off , saved the document, closed and reopened in but it doesn't remove the arranges - I will have to delete them all and start again...

David_HCB_0-1688985934897.png

David Harrison
Harrison Classic Boats

Win 10 / I7-11700K @ 4.9GHz / 64Gb RAM / SSD's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report