Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milling interior corners

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3082 Views, 10 Replies

Milling interior corners

Lets say I am milling a square hole into a piece of material so that a square rod (with sharp corners) can be later inserted, is there a way to have 2D Contour automatically mill away the interior corner radii even if it means to cut into the material? I just don't want to have to model a interior corner condition at every corner.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Steinwerks
in reply to: Anonymous

Nope. However you could just create a "hole" at every corner intersection and drill them out first.
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 11
ProteumMachining

You could either select each corner as a point to drill through with your endmill as stated above or there was a custom API to add dogbone cutouts to flat pack items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCcD4MYGbzc

Message 4 of 11

@ProteumMachining wrote:

You could either select each corner as a point to drill through with your endmill as stated above or there was a custom API to add dogbone cutouts to flat pack items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCcD4MYGbzc

That's a pretty cool addon. I would add that it certainly has many applications aside from woodworking, too. I used to create tangent arcs slightly bigger than my nominal cutter in Mastercam when I needed an internal corner clearance for a punch or stripper plate, and those were more on the order of 3/4" diameter. I'll have to pick that up and see how it works.

Thanks for the heads up!

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 11
Josh3GG88
in reply to: Steinwerks

is there any prospect that this feature will be coming in the future?

Message 6 of 11
scottmoyse

There's a trick with the 2D Contour rest material setting to trick a tool to drive into the square corner to create the relief you need. I would need to mess around with it to figure it out again though. 

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Product & Platform Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: scottmoyse

🤔

I'm not aware of this trick...curious now, for sure

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 11
brad.francola

@scottmoyse here is the example from our other thread.  Duplicate the 2D contour toolpath, activate rest machining (with a tool diameter equal to the tool used to cut the 2D contour) and then use negative stock to leave to make the undercuts.

bradfrancola_0-1673132132146.png

bradfrancola_0-1673132557670.png

Message 9 of 11
Josh3GG88

this is a good trick and could be used for all corner cleanouts. Also very simple to apply.  However the CNC operators are complaining it is too time consuming, adding additional 10 minutes to a sheet for this option. is any way this option could be combined with the perimeter contouring?

Message 10 of 11
seth.madore
in reply to: Josh3GG88

@Josh3GG88 you could model those features into the part and use a smaller tool for it. I also seem to remember a "dog-bone" addin that would automatically add them for you.

The other option is to use a smaller tool and "drill" the corners out

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 11 of 11
jscott6SWZG

so seems like some quick bores solves the issue

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report