Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machining a partial chamfer help

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
lukexm2
455 Views, 4 Replies

Machining a partial chamfer help

Hi guys,

I am seeking help programming the right tool-path for machining the highlighted blue surfaces on this part. I have not been able to get a strategy to work, if anyone can please point me in the right direct that would be great. I was intending on using a 6mm ball endmill to create the feature.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Luke

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.26.49 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 10.34.50 am.png

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steinwerks
in reply to: lukexm2

Try changing reducing the stepover to something at least as small as 10% of the cutter diameter (default is 50% which is far too large for surfacing toolpaths). You may also want to change the Pass Direction on the Passes tab 90° from what it is now, but this is mostly an aesthetic requirement determined by the surface finish goal.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

heres a quick example part i made. hope this helps

Message 4 of 5
lukexm2
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you guys for the help! 

It would be great to be able to have the chamfer end mill do this in one/two passes. I might add it to the idea-station

Message 5 of 5
Steinwerks

@lukexm2 wrote:

Thank you guys for the help! 

It would be great to be able to have the chamfer end mill do this in one/two passes. I might add it to the idea-station

You can. Try 3D Contour with a matching Chamfer Mill.

Edit: well, it used to work. Maybe not so much now:

3D Contour Chamfer.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report