Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine Selected Surface and extended length

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jfkarls
221 Views, 2 Replies

Machine Selected Surface and extended length

I trying to program a selected surface and keep the toolpath to only the selected surface and add extended lead in/out if possible

I currently program in SmartCAM and to mill a 35 deg angle on a slide for a mold I select my surface and add .500 to the lead in and out so it machines past the surface so it has a good transition when it starts cutting.

I am hoping to switch to Fusion but I can't figure out how to do the same exact type toolpath in Fusion. SmartCAM is a simpler CAM software so if it can do it I would hope Fusion can. Currently if I use the additional offset it wraps around the part, I want it to continue in line with the surface like a normal 2D contour toolpath where you can add a linear extension.

I have tried every 3D toolpath with no luck. I will attach pictures and the file and hopefully someone has already figured this out and I am over looking a really easy fix.

I will attach pictures of the part and toolpath in fusion and how I currently program it in SmartCAM where it works perfectly.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jfkarls
in reply to: jfkarls

Here are some more attachments and the part we are trying to machine.

Toolpath before lead in.JPG

Message 3 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: jfkarls

Sadly, it's as you've found; we don't have the "direct extensions" that other software has. I know that PowerMill (an Autodesk product) has that option, but as of yet, it hasn't made its way into Fusion.

So, to work around that, it's a small matter of making some Patch Surfaces:

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report